Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

well, there is something to be said for VED being extended/changed to allow for car volume/footprint to be honest.

Volume as in BHP/CC or volume as in hitting transit van owners with a massive hike ?

The arguments against 4x4s in this instance are irrational, and motivated by envy or other emotions...emotion shouldn't determine who pays what..emotions have no place on the roads !

400bhp

Guru
Volume as in BHP/CC or volume as in hitting transit van owners with a massive hike ?

The arguments against 4x4s in this instance are irrational, and motivated by envy or other emotions...emotion shouldn't determine who pays what..emotions have no place on the roads !

volume as in space a car takes up on the road. Possibly floorpan area rather than volume.

Note the word "car".

Linford

volume as in space a car takes up on the road. Possibly floorpan area rather than volume.

Note the word "car".

Would I be wrong in feeling that you are looking to manipulate the rules to fit in with your prejudices ?

For the record, how do you define a 'car' ?

400bhp

Guru
1. Would I be wrong in feeling that you are looking to manipulate the rules to fit in with your prejudices ?

2. For the record, how do you define a 'car' ?

1. WTF are you on about?

2. something that is not classed as a commercial vehicle.

Linford

1. WTF are you on about?

2. something that is not classed as a commercial vehicle.

Looking at 1. footprint being the overall area it takes when parked on the road....I've already given examples...the floorpan is irrelevant when measuring the size of parking space it needs. A Mondeo clearly needs a bigger one.

2. fair doo's

400bhp

Guru
Looking at 1. footprint being the overall area it takes when parked on the road....I've already given examples...the floorpan is irrelevant when measuring the size of parking space it needs. A Mondeo clearly needs a bigger one.

2. fair doo's

why? compared to what?

Linford

why? compared to what?

The examples I just gave.....a 1997 Mondeo estate is still longer than the 4x4 I used as an example, although 30mm narrower.....both cars will still fit into a supermarket parking bay so I don't really get the haters arguments about the size

Hate the fools who drive them without regard for others...fine, but if that is the case you must rightly also hate the fools who also drive the 4x4's badly :whistle:

400bhp

Guru
The examples I just gave.....a 1997 Mondeo estate is still longer than the 4x4 I used as an example, although 30mm narrower.....both cars will still fit into a supermarket parking bay so I don't really get the haters arguments about the size

Hate the fools who drive them without regard for others...fine, but if that is the case you must rightly also hate the fools who also drive the 4x4's badly :whistle:

And if you read my reply (perhaps it wasn't clear?), I said you weren't comparing like with like. Most people would consider a 4x4 one of the modern variety and not a 20 year old version (which, relatively speaking, would have been bigger than a mondeo type estate car ath that time). I also said cars are getting bigger in general. Space is at a premium so there is something to be said for allowing for volume/floorpan area in VED type charge.

400bhp

Guru

And I don't hate someone that drives a particular car - that would be silly and I'm not sure where you've got that impression from?

Linford

And if you read my reply (perhaps it wasn't clear?), I said you weren't comparing like with like. Most people would consider a 4x4 one of the modern variety and not a 20 year old version (which, relatively speaking, would have been bigger than a mondeo type estate car ath that time). I also said cars are getting bigger in general. Space is at a premium so there is something to be said for allowing for volume/floorpan area in VED type charge.

It is cheaper to tax and insure a 7.5 tonne horsebox lorry of comparable age than a 2 tonne 4x4 under the current rules.

As for volume this is my A-class merc with a 125 scooter in it. Now I can get a few cycles stood up in the back of my 4x4, but don't have to the room in it to do this
The SWB version of my 4x4 has about the same amount of space in the cabin as a Fiesta. They don't have a floorpan BTW, they are an independent ladder chassis for strength with a body mounted on them.

1305314_10151849250713704_2063604999_n.jpg

simon.r

Person
I have to pay £70 VED on my motorcycle when vehicles are judged on emissions and not on their footprint, a motorcycle filtering is going to be vastly cleaner than a zero VED rated Prius sat in a queue of stop start traffic, the batteries don't stay charged very long in those conditions, and then it is just like any other overweight hybrid shopping trolley dragging its battery pack around on hydrocarbons....why is that ?

Motorcycles aren't charged VED based on their emissions, just a very crude engine size banding system.

400bhp

Guru
It is cheaper to tax and insure a 7.5 tonne horsebox lorry of comparable age than a 2 tonne 4x4 under the current rules.

As for volume this is my A-class merc with a 125 scooter in it. Now I can get a few cycles stood up in the back of my 4x4, but don't have to the room in it to do this
The SWB version of my 4x4 has about the same amount of space in the cabin as a Fiesta. They don't have a floorpan BTW, they are an independent ladder chassis for strength with a body mounted on them.

1305314_10151849250713704_2063604999_n.jpg

do you have a point?

I couldn't agree more....

A huge amount of our road infrastructure built in the 60's or before; or since then, to the standards of the 60's.

And a typical car of the 60's - take the Ford Cortina Mk 1. Width 1.588m. Your Mondeo is 30% wider. Aye, and not only are cars now 30% bigger, but there's far more of them.

Top Bottom