Car tax disc to be axed after 93 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Judging by the majority of comments the Op should have titled this "Car Haters Click Here"
I love cars. Have 2 - both German - 1 a 4x4 and the other a fast convertible!!

Love my bike too and use it more often than the cars. Happy to see the cars as a luxury and should pay for what the cause.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I don't think I could manage if it got stuck into fuel as it would be a massive increase for me ...

How much do you currently pay in VED?

GC

I'm just curious about what are you basing your calculation of a massive increase on. I don't think anyone's yet put a figure on the pence per litre that would be necessary.

GC

Based on my calculations for my cars 45mpg, the £130 is equal to around 25p per litre increase, but that is neither here nor there, as if worse comes to worse the car isn't a necessity.

My bike at 50mpg, is just under 5p per litre to make up the VED on it.

I reckon 25p per litre is more likely than a 5p rise, and 25p per litre even on a bike will add just over £350 per year to the fuel bill that is already high, and ever increasing insurance costs, etc.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
As someone that does high miles (due to commuting to work) and with a car that is road tax exempt (due to low emissions) al I can say is...

BOOOO!!!!

How long before there is a double whammy "price for petrol plus sliding scale for C02"?

So someone with an efficient super mini will pay £1.40 per litre plus 5p for road tax, but someone with a Range rover will pay £1.40 plus 40p?

Linford

Woohoo, I use the 4x4 for 4 or 5 months of the year, and the motorbike for the rest (when not cycling). To be able to pay specifically for what I use on both vehicles is a massive improvement for me as the bike sits idle in the winter, and the car sits idle in the summer (for the time being )

Woohoo, I use the 4x4 for 4 or 5 months of the year, and the motorbike for the rest (when not cycling). To be able to pay specifically for what I use on both vehicles is a massive improvement for me as the bike sits idle in the winter, and the car sits idle in the summer (for the time being )

An ideal situation, but once the pricing is in place, then we can see the costs being ramped up year on year,

Linford

Hmmm - put the tax on fuel? How about charging by the space the vehicle takes up on the road. A tax on fat-***ed SUVs, on those who claim vast amounts of space for their over-sized egos?

I couldn't agree more....and further to that, I've gone off and got the dimensions of a regular car and a 4x4 so everyone else in your camp can actually also either look stupid or disagree with you
Mondeo Estate, (5 seats) 2011: Length 4837 mm, Width 2092 mm
Long wheelbase Mitsubishi Shogun (7 seats), 1992-97: Length 4,740 mm Width 1,786 mm

Now given that the height of a vehicle makes absolutely no difference at all to the size of its footprint on the road (or congestion to that matter), How much more do you think they should charge a Mondeo owner to use the roads over as you put it 'fat-assed SUVs as you have just destroyed any moral high ground you might have thought your case has ?

Now additionally, the advice given to motorists is 'give a cyclist as much room as a car'.....does that mean that cyclists should also pay to use the roads in the same way as well as cyclists should be given the same amount of room ?

I have to pay £70 VED on my motorcycle when vehicles are judged on emissions and not on their footprint, a motorcycle filtering is going to be vastly cleaner than a zero VED rated Prius sat in a queue of stop start traffic, the batteries don't stay charged very long in those conditions, and then it is just like any other overweight hybrid shopping trolley dragging its battery pack around on hydrocarbons....why is that ?

400bhp

Guru
I couldn't agree more....and further to that, I've gone off and got the dimensions of a regular car and a 4x4 so everyone else in your camp can actually also either look stupid or disagree with you
Mondeo Estate, (5 seats) 2011: Length 4837 mm, Width 2092 mm
Long wheelbase Mitsubishi Shogun (7 seats), 1992-97: Length 4,740 mm Width 1,786 mm

Be more consistent with the age as we all know cars have ballooned in size over the years.

2013 X5
length 4886mm, width 2184mm

Top Bottom