Car tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a fair observation.

Certain small diameter skinny car tyres cost as little as 50 odd quid if you don't mind the latest Chin Shen Sliplops.

Which makes one wonder how bicycle tyre manufacturers justify the prices of their product.

Avons were £60 each for the Aygo !

KneesUp

Guru
I notice Costco sell tyres - I was a Business memnber or whatever they call it for a few years but I never went so I stopped paying to be a member - however it's only £30 or so to join, so potentially I could save that on two tyres (my car also needs tyres - I have Michelin Cross Climates too in 205/65/16 size)

However, you can't see prices unless you are a member - has anyone got membership and wouldn't mind checking?

Fastpedaller

I too found replacement tyres had gone from 67 to 120 for the same tyre bought 3 years ago. Reference tyres for electric cars....... being heavier vehicles they will eat tyres, and are they 'standard' tyres or special sizes? My Nephew had a (petrol) car in Australia about 15 years ago, and when he priced up new tyres he decided it was better financially to trade in the Ausi car and buy a VW, rather than replace the weird size tyres!

Drago

Legendary Member
Hankook, for example, do EV specific versions of some of their range. I don't know what if anything, the difference may be. The price seems little different and the tyres appear visually identical.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hankook, for example, do EV specific versions of some of their range. I don't know what if anything, the difference may be. The price seems little different and the tyres appear visually identical.

Good article/video here:

https://www.carthrottle.com/news/specific-ev-tyres-are-surprisingly-different-shelf

TLDR - different because weight, torque, and other stuff.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Toyo are as good as the really big brands. I'd avoid the mainland Chinese stuff, although I once ended up with Nankang winter tyres (in the snow of 2010, when everything else sold out) and they did the job, although needing a LOT of balance weights

presta

Guru
£145 at National Tyre if I still had mine to buy tyres for:
1694188089497.png

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's a fair observation.

Certain small diameter skinny car tyres cost as little as 50 odd quid if you don't mind the latest Chin Shen Sliplops.

Which makes one wonder how bicycle tyre manufacturers justify the prices of their product.

Research and Development. There are a lot of costs associated with making tyres that allow tubes to fit in them and also making them slightly wider from 25mm to 32mm has huge cost repercussions. And then there's the marketing to convince us to buy them in the first place and it all ass up. Totally justified to have some quality rubber between the rider and the road.

The above is total BS and I very much agree with your sentiments.

Top Bottom