Car tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Aside from all prices going up, a good site to check is www.camskill.co.uk

I’ve found their service good and generally good pricing vs black tyres and mytyres.

Buck

Guru
I guess it will depend on make and size of tyre and if they have stock, so having a list of 3 or 4 sellers and comparing before hitting the buy now button !

Daninplymouth

Prices have risen massively on my runaround the tyres used to be about £50-60 just had Goodyears fitted and they were about £90. On a positive I checked my old car and they used to be £140 a corner, those are now nearly £200. Dread to think what some of the bigger low profiles cost now

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Although not super low profile, my car takes 225/45 R19s. When I replaced the fronts at the start of May 2018 the Dunlop ST Sport Maxx were £169 each fitted from Blackcircles. I've just checked and the same tyre is now £185 fitted from the same company which is just under a 10% increase in 5 years!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hankook, for example, do EV specific versions of some of their range. I don't know what if anything, the difference may be. The price seems little different and the tyres appear visually identical.

The EV tyre could look identical but it will have a higher load rating.

That is denoted by the last two numbers of the full designation of the tyre on the sidewall.

There will then be a final letter, which is the speed rating.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, I do that also, I was just commenting that Camskill has lost its price advantage based on a poll of 1

Even a puncture repair has gone up to £15 was £10 pre COVID.

My cheap tyres on holiday were £80 each which for 235 55 17 seemed resonsble however wish I had got falkan tbh.

dicko

Guru
How long should you keep your tyres? Mine on our Ford Ka are the original five when I bought the Ka in April 2012. They are Michelin and no sign of cuts or scuffing plus my car passes MOT every year no problem. We’ve done 15,565 puncture free (there that’s done it) miles from new.

Drago

Legendary Member
How long should you keep your tyres? Mine on our Ford Ka are the original five when I bought the Ka in April 2012. They are Michelin and no sign of cuts or scuffing plus my car passes MOT every year no problem. We’ve done 15,565 puncture free (there that’s done it) miles from new.

6 years. As the material ages the grip reduces. This said that's what did for Pauk Walker.

Our C70 came with four, 3000 miles old Pirelli boots that looked fantastic, but were a decade old. They got replaced pretty quick, and I watched the tyre fitter slash the sidewalls on my instruction so no garage employee would be tempted to put them on their car.

Slick

Guru

I had to change all 4 tyres on my Jaguar because of sheer lack of use. Around 800 quid it cost me as the so called premium tyres started to split with age despite loads of tread left.

Top Bottom