Car tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
How long should you keep your tyres? Mine on our Ford Ka are the original five when I bought the Ka in April 2012. They are Michelin and no sign of cuts or scuffing plus my car passes MOT every year no problem. We’ve done 15,565 puncture free (there that’s done it) miles from new.
"It depends". If the car is garaged, it will see far less UV light. 10 years should be ok in these circumstances, and is the legal limit for minibuses (garaged or not, so there's the minimum safety standard).

The gotcha is that some tyres are sold when they're already up to 5 years old and halfway to the scrapyard, and this is legal. Look for the manufacturing date embossed into an oval on the sidewall. It's a year and a week number. Some internet sellers are used to get rid of older stock, so beware. Blackcircles have never pulled that trick on me but another large supplier did. Of course, if you buy a new 2023 tyre model, this is nothing to worry about.

dicko

Guru
@dicko

Past their best, due to degradation by ultra-violet light
Are they 'greying' (or not black anymore?)

No still black and good grip on corners too as you would expect from Michelins

dicko

Guru
"It depends". If the car is garaged, it will see far less UV light. 10 years should be ok in these circumstances, and is the legal limit for minibuses (garaged or not, so there's the minimum safety standard).

The gotcha is that some tyres are sold when they're already up to 5 years old and halfway to the scrapyard, and this is legal. Look for the manufacturing date embossed into an oval on the sidewall. It's a year and a week number. Some internet sellers are used to get rid of older stock, so beware. Blackcircles have never pulled that trick on me but another large supplier did. Of course, if you buy a new 2023 tyre model, this is nothing to worry about.

Will look tomorrow

dicko

Guru
Thank you everyone for probably saving a nasty accident. All tyres on my 2012 Ford Ka were manufactured sixth week of 2012 we bought the Ka in April 2012. I have just ordered fore GoodYear summer/winter tyres fitting on this Wednesday on my driveway. Total cost £267.96 including valves and balancing.
Thank goodness I took the time to respond to this thread 😊

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Excellent price and good choice (your quoting above makes it look like it was my suggestion rather than your own btw) All Seasons have improved in leaps and bounds in the last few years and are the best choice for most motorists IMHO.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have the GoodYears on my 2008 (they're standard fit on cars with Grip Control) and have stuck with them as they proved to be most satisfactory in all conditions.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ten quid a month on our Mini Electric, and that includes MOTs as well. Hardly onerous.

Hell, the BMW branded bag of goodies there gave us when it went for its winter check normally retails at £50 on its own.

I notice Costco sell tyres - I was a Business memnber or whatever they call it for a few years but I never went so I stopped paying to be a member - however it's only £30 or so to join, so potentially I could save that on two tyres (my car also needs tyres - I have Michelin Cross Climates too in 205/65/16 size)

However, you can't see prices unless you are a member - has anyone got membership and wouldn't mind checking?

They only list Bridgestones in that size. H rated they list BLIZZAK at £130.99. Not sure if that includes VAT

Top Bottom