'Car up', 'Car back' & 'Car down'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They do point out that there are local variations. (British Cycling that is.) I like the point they make about not over-doing the warnings. Cries of "wolf" are often counter-productive. If people are calling out every imperfection in the road, it becomes a running commentary and has little effect. Thus, when something DOES need mentioning it is lost in the clutter. I see Drago's point about the lack of emphasis on rear observation, but I think that might be covered elsewhere.

The most important (and difficult to communicate to and imbue in people) is assertiveness. You have to hold your ground on the road. People scattering in all directions when a car is "up" makes a group hard to manage safely. I speak as a regular "lanterne rouge" or sweeper-up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Tin Pot discusses British Cycling...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETqncRvQHWk

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
When on a group ride, what do you call when a car is approaching from the front or the rear?
British Cycling says to call 'Car up' for one approaching from ahead and 'Car back' for one from the rear.
A mate of mine from up country is adamant that this is incorrect and that 'Car up' means from the rear; 'Car down' means from the front. He said it had always been that way and that British Cycling are wrong.
This caused me some confusion when we went for a ride together the other day!:eek:
So...........which one is correct?
Personally, I'm inclined to go with British Cycling as it seems more logical to me.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20121221-group-ride-0
I am sooooo glad I'm not the only one..I end up shouting car ahead and car behinbd because I can never remember in time.

sometimes I just shout CAR!!

robjh

Legendary Member
After riding with different groups I'd agree that 'car down' = ahead is the most standard interpretation, though I hear a lot of 'car up' to mean the same thing. In our club we usually go for 'car back' for a vehicle behind, so despite the 'up/down' muddle there's not usually any doubt about what is meant.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
'Nose' obviously means some kind of threat or obstacle ahead, and 'Tail'.......................

Simple really:okay:
I prefer 'Fore' and 'Aft'. :giggle:

snorri

Legendary Member
If people are calling out every imperfection in the road, it becomes a running commentary and has little effect. Thus, when something DOES need mentioning it is lost in the clutter..
Indeed!
Reminds me of one of my very few group rides, conversation was all but impossible, at least when cycling solo my train of thought runs uninterrupted:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom