Carbon bike next to radiator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
I've just realised the carbon bike has been moved next to a radiator a couple of months ago in the store room. What are the chances the heat has damaged the frame material?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A normal radiator, none.

"Carbon sublimes in a carbon arc which has a temperature of about 5,800 K (5,530 °C; 9,980 °F). Thus, irrespective of its allotropic form, carbon remains solid at higher temperatures than the highest melting point metals such as tungsten or rhenium."

Oldbloke

Guru
No problem unless the rad leaks water onto it causing it to melt.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
More worry is why has it been stood still for that long !

Personally i would be re greasing all the bearings etc etc as the grease would have all dried up or leaked out after all that time not being used oh and it might pay to inflate your tyres as long as they havent also melted

Carbon frames dissolve in the wet, but I’ve never heard of one spontaneously combusting. I reckon they do, if you leave them next to a radiator for long enough though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is as illogical as people asking if they should deflate the tyres to fly in a plane that's pressurised to 10,000 feet.

vickster

Legendary Member
You say you want a new bike? Why not just ride that one rather than keeping it in store? Or if you don't want that one, sell it and buy one that you do want :smile:

OP
OP
I

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Thanks - more specifically, is there likely to be any change in the resin between the layers of carbon having sat next to (possibly even touching) a radiator at 80+ degrees C?

I fully take on board your comments re: using the bike rather than storing it. I promise you I'll ride it on the next sunny day, as long as there is no rain or hint of a cloud in the sky.

Top Bottom