Carbon bike next to radiator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Thanks - more specifically, is there likely to be any change in the resin between the layers of carbon having sat next to (possibly even touching) a radiator at 80+ degrees C?

I fully take on board your comments re: using the bike rather than storing it. I promise you I'll ride it on the next sunny day, as long as there is no rain or hint of a cloud in the sky.
Heating water should be around 70c possibly less if a condensing boiler

david k

Hi
If your radiator was at 80c I would suggest you get a plumber round fast because your heating system is dangerously overheated and something will soon fail, starting with the wax cartridges in the shower thermostat and in the TRVs, if you have any. Central heating and hot water is supposed to be limited to 60c, which is hot enough to be effective but not hot enough to cause damage to the components.
Think your mixing heating water and hot water, they are separated by a coil and yes hot water is usually around 60-65c

Alan O

Über Member
Indeed.. some airlines do and some don't. In reality the effect on bike tyres is minimal but for large volume vehicle tyres it could be a problem. FWIW I flew with easy jet a couple of years ago and partially deflated my tyres while my friend just kept his at 90PSI - they came out the other side perfectly fine.
I think it's more that it's a lot simpler to just ask for all tyres to be deflated than to have complicated rules which apply to various categories of tyres - it's not as it it's any great hadrship to have to reinflate them at your destination.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Indeed.. some airlines do and some don't. In reality the effect on bike tyres is minimal but for large volume vehicle tyres it could be a problem. FWIW I flew with easy jet a couple of years ago and partially deflated my tyres while my friend just kept his at 90PSI - they came out the other side perfectly fine.

It's pretty simple - do TDF riders' tyres explode when they ride over an Alpine col at 8,000 feet? No they don't and an aircraft hold is pressurised to 8,000 or 10,000 feet.

Alan O

Über Member
It's pretty simple - do TDF riders' tyres explode when they ride over an Alpine col at 8,000 feet? No they don't and an aircraft hold is pressurised to 8,000 or 10,000 feet.
Under-floor holds are pressurized (which covers most aircraft), but I think some smaller aircraft with rear holds don't have them pressurized. So again, it's probably just a "one rule to keep it simple" approach.

Carbon bikes survive in Australia

Are you heating your house above 45C?

Note: temperatures go above 45C in oz, just setting an Adelaide temperature.
I suspect the rad will operate at around 75 deg. The room temp is not a mirror of the rad temp.:okay:

Alan O

Über Member
Hmm, I'm getting a marketing idea here... carbon radiators!

(I know carbon doesn't conduct heat very well, but that never stopped people making bike wheels out of it.)

postman

Legendary Member
Don't worry once it gets to an unsafe temperature The saddle begins to shake violently then pops out of the seat post.

Top Bottom