Carbon bike next to radiator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If your radiator was at 80c I would suggest you get a plumber round fast because your heating system is dangerously overheated and something will soon fail, starting with the wax cartridges in the shower thermostat and in the TRVs, if you have any. Central heating and hot water is supposed to be limited to 60c, which is hot enough to be effective but not hot enough to cause damage to the components.

MiK1138

Veteran
I've just realised the carbon bike has been moved next to a radiator a couple of months ago in the store room. What are the chances the heat has damaged the frame material?
If my daughter is in charge of the radiator temperature then it is a little puddle of tar by now

vickster

Legendary Member
I fully take on board your comments re: using the bike rather than storing it. I promise you I'll ride it on the next sunny day, as long as there is no rain or hint of a cloud in the sky.
Why? It won't disintegrate despite what some of the jesters suggest!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Does anybody know the temperature at which the resin is usually cured in the mould? The internet says anything between 100c and 120c. That's curing, not melting.

TBH I would worry more about the warmth evaporating any droplets of moisture that happen to have found their way inside the BB or seat tube, creating a humid atmosphere, which will condense elsewhere slowly oxidising the internal parts of any fittings like bottle cage mounts and internal cables. Storing the bike with the seatpost removed might allow some moisture to escape.

Last edited:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I'm sure it'll be turned into coal.

OP
OP
I

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Scary to think the airline doesn't understand school physics.

Indeed.. some airlines do and some don't. In reality the effect on bike tyres is minimal but for large volume vehicle tyres it could be a problem. FWIW I flew with easy jet a couple of years ago and partially deflated my tyres while my friend just kept his at 90PSI - they came out the other side perfectly fine.

Top Bottom