Carbon chainsets & severe squeaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Does anybody have any experience of undue squeak and creak coming from a carbon chainset? I recently had an FSA K-Force light (BB30) fitted to my Supersix and on Sunday noticed a creaking noise start to develop.

I adjusted the chainring bolts and even removed, cleaned and re-greased the pedals Yesterday. Went out last night and it was ok for the first few miles, then the squeak started. It's once every rotation of the crank at a set point and did seem to stop when I got out of the saddle but later on in the ride it was happening even when I was out of the saddle (although a fair bit quieter). I was hoping it would be something as simple as a creaky seatpost but I think the fact that it was still in existance when I got out of the seat kind of rules this out. It seemed to get worse as the ride progressed and was embarrasingly loud after about 20 miles. Could it be something to do with the heat?? The BB bearings are also new and were fitted by the LBS at the same time as the chainset.

Cheers

djb1971

Legendary Member
I'm using the slk light and its silent but I'm on an exo bb not a bb30. I intentionally avoid bb30s because of noise issues. The bb may need reinstalling with grease or loctite. Get the lbs to take a look if they've fitted it.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'm using the slk light and its silent but I'm on an exo bb not a bb30. I intentionally avoid bb30s because of noise issues. The bb may need reinstalling with grease or loctite. Get the lbs to take a look if they've fitted it.

When I picked up the bike he said he had installed it with Loctite, due to the common issues of noise. Sounded like he knew what he was doing to me but I may have to take it back in on a hot day when I would be able to better demonstrate the squeaks! Ta

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah - also thought about that aspect - thx, will try again this evening perhaps... might even switch out the pedals and shoes to rule out this aspect :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I've greased it all up... seatpost and clamp, cleat interfaces and bolts! We shall see...

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah the headset clean was trying to find a different noise! A clank that is slightly less annoying than the squeak. I think l know what the clank is though. Rear freehub where the cassette is eating into it already!! Alloy freehubs are shiite

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah the headset clean was trying to find a different noise! A clank that is slightly less annoying than the squeak. I think l know what the clank is though. Rear freehub where the cassette is eating into it already!! Alloy freehubs are shiite

Remember those Easton's I had? Had the same problem.

Top Bottom