Carbon chainsets & severe squeaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I really don't like the sound of these BB30's. More reports of bad then good.

I think there must be other things which impact BB30. I run BB30 on all my bikes with Specialized OSBB press fit and do not experience any of the symptoms which seem common place with BB30.
The only thing which stands out to me, is that I run Specialized cranks and perhaps the way the entire solution is constructed matters a great deal more than with other BB forms.

But I agree with you... they sound bad in general, I just can't work out why I have never experienced any of the typical complaints.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think there must be other things which impact BB30. I run BB30 on all my bikes with Specialized OSBB press fit and do not experience any of the symptoms which seem common place with BB30.
The only thing which stands out to me, is that I run Specialized cranks and perhaps the way the entire solution is constructed matters a great deal more than with other BB forms.

But I agree with you... they sound bad in general, I just can't work out why I have never experienced any of the typical complaints.

What sort of mileage are you doing Paul and are you cycling in all weathers. Your bikes are spotless and very well looked after, not saying other people's aren't of course. I know Ducky looks after his bikes too.
I did read somewhere (can't remember if it was on here or not) that BB30's need cleaning and greasing a lot more often then external BB's (Which don't need a lot of looking after) especially if they have been exposed to the rain.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Have you checked the left hand crank bolts? Sometimes they work their way loose when they have been recently put back on, had it happen to me for ages ended up stripping off the splines on axle :blush:

Andrew_P

I had the BB30 on the Boardman CX, certainly put me off having BB30 again. Mine was a cleaning issue, commuting + winter = noisy BB

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
What sort of mileage are you doing Paul and are you cycling in all weathers. Your bikes are spotless and very well looked after, not saying other people's aren't of course. I know Ducky looks after his bikes too.
I did read somewhere (can't remember if it was on here or not) that BB30's need cleaning and greasing a lot more often then external BB's (Which don't need a lot of looking after) especially if they have been exposed to the rain.

I'm doing pretty decent mileage but then again that is split over six bikes and they do get a proper clean after each ride, wheels off, cranks off etc.
I do cycle in all weathers but there are certain bikes which are more likely to see rain than the others. So I might not be the best example for durability as you correctly point out.

I think it could be gods way of punishing people who do not clean their bikes, ;) no excuse for a chain covered in muck IMHO, none

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Heh! Just tweaked it and the crank bolt was definitely not super-tight! Meant to be 40n/m *sniff*
I did it pretty tight and then nipped it up some more! I have no torque wrench which is one of the reasons I was happy for the LBS to do the install.

We'll see come the morrow but I'll wager this was the cause of the issue. Remains to be seen if it comes loose again anytime soon but if it's done it once it will probably do it again as I doubt I have done it to 40n/m by hand with my big hex key :unsure:

Cheers for the tip Andrew. I will report on the status, forthwith.

Andrew_P

they do get a proper clean after each ride, wheels off, cranks off etc.
:wacko: That would drive me crazy, I wouldn't see much of the family or get much work done lol

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Heh! Just tweaked it and the crank bolt was definitely not super-tight! Meant to be 40n/m *sniff*
I did it pretty tight and then nipped it up some more! I have no torque wrench which is one of the reasons I was happy for the LBS to do the install.

We'll see come the morrow but I'll wager this was the cause of the issue. Remains to be seen if it comes loose again anytime soon but if it's done it once it will probably do it again as I doubt I have done it to 40n/m by hand with my big hex key :unsure:

Cheers for the tip Andrew. I will report on the status, forthwith.

Fingers crossed.

potsy

Rambler
My BB30 doesn't squeak :whistle:

Top Bottom