Carbon Fibre Frame Break

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OP
OP
T

tyrone2020

Thanks for the responses so far. Bought the bike second hand for 450 (attached below) so a £700 repair may not be worth it.

View attachment 623969

Best bet seems to be to just take it to the local bike shop. Issue is the only place close to me that repairs carbon fibre repairs is a place called HQ fibre. Will need the bike stripped to send off
Have contacted CBT so thanks for the recommendations

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what others have said. It can be fixed but will be expensive. You can probrably get a good new frame for the cost of a fix.

si_c

Guru
Carbon fibre is very very repairable in competent hands. You could easily effect a safe repair yourself, but it wouldn't be as good as the original laminate structure, heavier and less good looking.

By far the cheapest way to get your bike up and running again would be to get it repaired. A good repair centre will also be able to match the paintwork as well. I know GCN can be a bit maligned but they actually do put out some good content now and again, a video they did recently on repair is here.

A new frame comparable to your Merida will be upwards of £500. I'd also contact your home insurance provider, if you put the bike on your insurance then given the choice of paying out for a new bike or the cost of repair they might opt for the latter.

I prefer my teeth in place. I'd bin or sell it, regardless of cheap or expensive
Repaired properly it would be stronger than the original.

I don't know why people who admit they know nothing about CF bother replying.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
There's a place not to far from me that's meant to be very good. A few miles East of Norwich, close to Blofield - I intend to take my (much loved) Supersix frame there to have them try to sort out a knackered BB housing. The concern I would have about yours is the location of the damage - probably can only think of one place I would less rather have sawn through (headtube/fork crown area). Could be ok but the professionals should be able to advise - there would always be a niggling doubt every time you sat on the saddle on a fast downhill....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
By far the cheapest way to get your bike up and running again would be to get it repaired. A good repair centre will also be able to match the paintwork as well. I know GCN can be a bit maligned but they actually do put out some good content now and again, a video they did recently on repair is here.
Agreed, that would be the cheapest way to get it back in service.
The problem is what would the bike be worth when it comes to sale time? You'd have to declare the repair which would put many off and lower the price considerably.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There's a place not to far from me that's meant to be very good. A few miles East of Norwich, close to Blofield - I intend to take my (much loved) Supersix frame there to have them try to sort out a knackered BB housing. The concern I would have about yours is the location of the damage - probably can only think of one place I would less rather have sawn through (headtube/fork crown area). Could be ok but the professionals should be able to advise - there would always be a niggling doubt every time you sat on the saddle on a fast downhill....

I think that'll be HQ Fibre that the op refers to. They did a repair to my son's forks and you couldn't tell the difference, but it was a bit expensive.

Worth a conversation.

Landsurfer

Veteran
It's a public forum. People are allowed an opinion, whether they have an extensive knowledge in something or not.

I personally would not want to ride a damaged and repaired frame.
I have considerable experience with primary, secondary and tertiary carbon fibre structures in an aerospace environment.
Your right, its a public forum and all should comment ... it’s one of the ways we learn .
My professional opinion ..... It’s bolloxed ..... time for another one ...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Get the gaffa tape out , then cover repaired area with a decal and hey presto it's been bodged

My feeling is get a quote for a repair and weigh up the odds

Top Bottom