Carbon fork, worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
I have the opportunity to get the carbon fork which was an option on my road bike for £45.

Are they a worthwhile the upgrade at that price and how much would an LBS be likely to charge to change a fork?

Young Un

Yes I would say so, because the carbon helps reduce road buzz whilst remaining stiff, resulting in a more comfortable ride, but with a more responsive feel!

£45 is about right for Carbon forks/Alloy steerer - full carbon would be a bit more.

You could easily do the job yourself - this video will show you how to remove the crown race from the old forks.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYYtAhAxS0

You can cut the steerer down to size with a hacksaw if needed.

The only other problem is if you have a carbon steerer - you want to make sure that you don't overtighten the stem.

02GF74

Über Member
also with carbon steerer, if using aheadset, you must use a bung and NOT the star fangled nut.

treat yourself and splash out on the carbon fork.

petmcgratt

It sounds as though you have spotted the massive sale on chain reaction cycles. I bought a carbon composite (vitus F600) for my vitus alios triple. It was reduced from 120 to 45 pounds. Thought it was a good deal. You still need to buy a new star nut and i was fortunate enough to be able to bring my old aero pro fork in and got them to swap the crown race over so I didn't have to buy a new headset.
Did you eventually buy this fork?
peter

gavintc

Guru
I upgraded my winter bike to one with a carbon front fork and noticed the difference. There is certainly less vibration and it is generally a more comfortable ride. Some of this I will accept, is due to a better frame but I have noted when riding a particular road with rough tarmac it is notable smoother. So, if you can afford it, I would recommend the upgrade.

petmcgratt

Definitely worth the money. I also got the experience of fitting a new fork, star nut etc and adjusting the steerer column to the height i wanted. Got the white/red/black carbon fork from chain reaction cycles. They also have free post and packaging and got it the next day!!

Top Bottom