Carbon frame damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
My friends Daughter Emma helped a lady who was knocked off her bike on Friday in the Aldershot area , Emma took the bike home to her house whilst the lady had some medical attention , she picked up the bike yesterday and seemed to think the frame had cracked , are these repairable ?
image.jpeg

Big John

Guru
I cracked - well, snapped a chainstay - on carbon frame and considered the frame a write off. I ended up giving it to a young chap I worked with at the time who said he could get it fixed. I had serious doubts due to where it had snapped and as I used it to race on wouldn't have the guts to race on it knowing it had a repair job in a crucial spot so I said he could keep it. He got it fixed and you couldn't even see where the repair had been made so there are businesses out there that do it for sure. Now you'll be asking where this guy had it fixed and I haven't a clue. I'm sure there are many on here who know of such experts and can point you in the right direction but rest assured they are fixable depending on the severity of the damage.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Fixable yes but I would be looking for a new frame from the insurance company,depending who was at fault of course.

I think the repair would niggle in the back of my mind everytime I hit a rough bit of road at speed.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My friends Daughter Emma helped a lady who was knocked off her bike on Friday in the Aldershot area , Emma took the bike home to her house whilst the lady had some medical attention , she picked up the bike yesterday and seemed to think the frame had cracked , are these repairable ?
View attachment 156586
Take it back to Wyndymilla and let them decide .

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Dont know , but at a guess you know your bike , something has alerted her to a poss frame damage , it seems she has come out of it unscathed , which is the most important , whether or not she got the offending motorist details for a claim is unknown to me , as said came through my mate , I hope any damage is recoverable

screenman

Legendary Member
I think there is a guy in Dorking doing carbon fibre repairs.

I had a frame reapaired by HQ Fibre Products in Norfolk.( snapped seatstay) Strange chap, no website but does not need one as he has more than enough business. He repairs all of Kuota frames for the country plus some other makes. He's a bloke in a very large shed, makes carbon parts for motor bikes as well. Does a top job, fixes carbon wheels as well. If a carbon frame is repaired properly the fixed part is usually stronger than the rest of the frame.

S-Express

View attachment 156586
Not enough info. A pic of the bike is no help, a pic of the suspect area would be more useful.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's a hairline crack somewhere near a stress point it's likely to be what is called a "witness crack", where the thick brittle paint has cracked as the carbon flexes. Flexibility in certain directions is what makes carbon frames so smooth-riding. Older carbon bikes had thick glossy brittle paint until manufacturers learned about witness cracks.

We need a photo.

S-Express

Flexibility in certain directions is what makes carbon frames so smooth-riding. Older carbon bikes had thick glossy brittle paint until manufacturers learned about witness cracks.

Just to be clear - witness cracks can appear on frames of any material for the same reasons.

Top Bottom