Carbon frame paint removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
i have just got a kinesis 810 carbon road frame for £100 i was planning to use it just to get me by until i get sorted out with a decent frame in a few weeks time. However the paintwork is horrifficly scuffed it was white and blue to start with which i didnt like anyway. I know their is a special paint stripper but its only availible from canada and there is no point waiting on that to arrive as ill have a new frame by then. Im thinking of going the sanding option if no one has heard of a carbon safe paint stripper availible in the uk.
Can anyone advise the best way to sand it.
Eventually im either going to leave it raw carbon (if there is a nie 3k weave under the paint) if not matte black

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i have just got a kinesis 810 carbon road frame for £100 i was planning to use it just to get me by until i get sorted out with a decent frame in a few weeks time. However the paintwork is horrifficly scuffed it was white and blue to start with which i didnt like anyway. I know their is a special paint stripper but its only availible from canada and there is no point waiting on that to arrive as ill have a new frame by then. Im thinking of going the sanding option if no one has heard of a carbon safe paint stripper availible in the uk.
Can anyone advise the best way to sand it.
Eventually im either going to leave it raw carbon (if there is a nie 3k weave under the paint) if not matte black
What happened to the cervelo?

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Sold it, wanted something more aero based so getting another venge like my one I had nicked but will be a month or so til I can afford it. This will be a great project though just gone out today an got some 40 sandpaper all the way to 2500 obviously I wont use the 40 harshly. I've only got one sheet

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm guessing Carbolift is the stuff you've already found? I haven't heard of anything else like it though so sandpaper is probably the way forward, carefully!

Got to ask though, why bother if you're buying another frame in a month? Seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Cause,ill be keeping it as a spare frame to commute on and to use in bad weather, Carbolift is what i have found but its a shame its not sold in the uk

AndyRM

XOXO
Might be worth buying a pot and waiting so you've got it when you come to do the job?

It's something I considered doing, but ended up not bothering after reading a lot of conflicting reviews about damage and efficiency.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Just jumped in with both feet the fork has came out PERFECT! Started with 60 and went to 600
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
Did you feature in the Cambridge TT or was that somebody else?

screenman

Legendary Member
As somebody who works with paint I would say why start with 60? That will certainly have cut into the gel cost.

600 is still course, I use down to 4000.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Was me, i wasnt doing well at all that day made the mistake of a kfc the night before and i was bloated like hell lol

Took me about 2 hours of sanding by hand.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
@screenman do you have a rough idea how much a shop would charge for a clearcoat? Or the best one from a rattle can, i know i would be best paying someone but budget is tight

screenman

Legendary Member
I hate to say it but for you I will, the best single pack (aerosol) laquer on the market is Halfords.

If you can find a twin pack laquer in aerosol it will be far tougher. You will tell this aerosol as you will have to pop the bottom for the two liquids to mix.

I would say if you have prepped it well a £50 note should get it lacquered at a small sprayshop.

Top Bottom