Carbon framed road bike used all year round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

lb81

I'll still be sticking to the steel framed bike for winter/ commuter use though as it will take 'guards and a rack

Speaking of steel this has crept on to my radar and I think I am in love. I might never need another bike. Although it does slightly make a mockery of some of my opening statement that "weight is a more important consideration".

Reading reviews though it would appear that its not that heavy and a better wheel set would further lower weight...

Its funny, I love steel (My MTB is steel) but I hadn't considered a high end steel frame as a possible until ti was mentioned by jayonabike...

Its also worth pointing out to all that I do have my MTB hack to fall back on if the weather is really bad.

D

Deleted member 1258

Speaking of steel this has crept on to my radar and I think I am in love. I might never need another bike. Although it does slightly make a mockery of some of my opening statement that "weight is a more important consideration".

Reading reviews though it would appear that its not that heavy and a better wheel set would further lower weight...

Its funny, I love steel (My MTB is steel) but I hadn't considered a high end steel frame as a possible until ti was mentioned by jayonabike...

Its also worth pointing out to all that I do have my MTB hack to fall back on if the weather is really bad.

I like the Genesis as well, I also like their Day 01 Cross.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/day-01/day-01-cross

My concern would be a Carbon bikes ability to stand up to use in foul winter conditions.

I know that generally speaking Carbon race bikes are kept for fair weather sunday best, but does anyone use theirs for all year round riding and if so any problems or additional things i should consider?

carbon fibre frames are also commonly used for cyclo cross and MTB - it's not an issue worth considering.

OP, if you are commuting through the week and riding for pleasure at weekends have you considered splitting your budget from a looked after second hand alu (or similar) for commuting and a decent carbon ride for weekends? £1500-£1600 is a reasonable figure to do that with.

LB81- For the budget i haven't seen the Caad 10 cheaper yet for such gr8 spec (dura ace):

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/bi...r-black-size-54cm&utm_campaign=froogle#134015

+1 on the Titanium framed efforts for the one bike solution.

OP
OP
L

lb81

OP, if you are commuting through the week and riding for pleasure at weekends have you considered splitting your budget from a looked after second hand alu (or similar) for commuting and a decent carbon ride for weekends? £1500-£1600 is a reasonable figure to do that with.

I have indeed considered it.

I have also considered keeping my current road bike (Triban 3) as my winter hack. The thing is I only really have the space for two bikes, I already have a rigid MTB which I am not getting rid of and can double as a real foul weather hack or back up, so having just one all purpose decent road bike is the only real option.

The other consideration and the most important is that much of my week is spent commuting down what are actually really nice riding roads, with quite a bit of scope to vary my route. As I am doing it day in day out and in all weathers, I would rather do it on something I can enjoy riding and for it to be a daily pleasure rather than something utilitarian and boring.

As stated previously, I don't need panniers, don't like mudguards and at most I will run with 25mm rubber so this obviously frees up much more choice... and I am fortunate in that it doesn't get left in a communal bike rack as it will have a nice warm office to sit in during the day and will never get left locked up anywhere.

I also take the point about component wear rates. But to be fair, my bikes are always well maintained and wear is kept to a minimum (My MTB has had the same Deore groupset for over 5 years and it gets ridden hard in all conditions) and having to replace a chain, cassette etc every 6 months hardly compares to the cost of running and maintaining a car over the same distance and time period, so again not an issue.

I don't really have any experience of Carbon as a bike material beyond the Carbon fork on the Triban, I figured that as they make all sorts of things it would probably be ok but you hear and read a lot of differing opinions on it and in particular its durability... and I gather that as with traditional materials, all Carbon frames will not be created equally and will be of differing quality.

I will expect this bike to last for a good few years to come so my priority will be the frame / forks with the spec of the components a secondary consideration for now.

The CAAD 10 does look very nice indeed. I think Ultegra will be overkill though and I would be tempted by the 105 spec and spend the change on some other bits.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have ridden Ultegra and 105 and theres little noticeable difference when riding .105 bits are cheaper to replace when worn out.

I have indeed considered it.

I have also considered keeping my current road bike (Triban 3) as my winter hack. The thing is I only really have the space for two bikes, I already have a rigid MTB which I am not getting rid of and can double as a real foul weather hack or back up, so having just one all purpose decent road bike is the only real option.

The other consideration and the most important is that much of my week is spent commuting down what are actually really nice riding roads, with quite a bit of scope to vary my route. As I am doing it day in day out and in all weathers, I would rather do it on something I can enjoy riding and for it to be a daily pleasure rather than something utilitarian and boring.

As stated previously, I don't need panniers, don't like mudguards and at most I will run with 25mm rubber so this obviously frees up much more choice... and I am fortunate in that it doesn't get left in a communal bike rack as it will have a nice warm office to sit in during the day and will never get left locked up anywhere.

I also take the point about component wear rates. But to be fair, my bikes are always well maintained and wear is kept to a minimum (My MTB has had the same Deore groupset for over 5 years and it gets ridden hard in all conditions) and having to replace a chain, cassette etc every 6 months hardly compares to the cost of running and maintaining a car over the same distance and time period, so again not an issue.

I don't really have any experience of Carbon as a bike material beyond the Carbon fork on the Triban, I figured that as they make all sorts of things it would probably be ok but you hear and read a lot of differing opinions on it and in particular its durability... and I gather that as with traditional materials, all Carbon frames will not be created equally and will be of differing quality.

I will expect this bike to last for a good few years to come so my priority will be the frame / forks with the spec of the components a secondary consideration for now.

The CAAD 10 does look very nice indeed. I think Ultegra will be overkill though and I would be tempted by the 105 spec and spend the change on some other bits.
Keep the old bike for the rough stuff and get the Carbon bike you want with your budget. Sorted! :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

lb81

So after a days research i have decided that:

1. I should have no concerns at all about Carbon.
2. I have gone off on a bit of side route and spent the latter part of the day looking at high ish end cross bikes! Being an MTBer at heart the prospect of a light & fast do it all bike that can also rip up some trails either at the weekend or indeed as part of my daily slog is really appealing.

Been looking at this
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODDRIV/on_one_dirty_disco_cyclocross_rival

Which looks like an immense bit of kit and was recently ridden around the world by this guy who i have decided is a complete legend.
http://road.cc/content/news/59716-i...holder-mike-hall-talks-round-world-record-kit

So after a days research i have decided that:

1. I should have no concerns at all about Carbon.
2. I have gone off on a bit of side route and spent the latter part of the day looking at high ish end cross bikes! Being an MTBer at heart the prospect of a light & fast do it all bike that can also rip up some trails either at the weekend or indeed as part of my daily slog is really appealing.

Been looking at this
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODDRIV/on_one_dirty_disco_cyclocross_rival

Which looks like an immense bit of kit and was recently ridden around the world by this guy who i have decided is a complete legend.
http://road.cc/content/news/59716-i...holder-mike-hall-talks-round-world-record-kit

I have a Cannondale Caadx 2012 and, as a do it all bike, it is simply amazing. There will be a fair bit of adjustment RE bar height depending on your purpose and preference.
I would also note though that you still might feel that it isn't an out and out road bike. Depends how much you get the bug. It can end up an expensive hobby. You end up finding reason for bikes that will do little more than see sunny weather. In the UK? :cursing:

OP
OP
L

lb81

Sooo

After all that what do i end up with...?

A boardman CX...!

Looked at and test rode several bikes but it was the CX geometry that i felt the most comfortable on, by quite a long way in fact.

I guess its due to the higher front and more relaxed head angle which is closer to my MTB roots.

After much discussion with SWMBO i decided the Boardman was much better value v the on-one and as it is an all round work horse i would be less concerned about the boardman picking up the odd ding... (I also considered the Whyte & Kenesis)

It has also left me with some spare cash in the budget for some new kit and choice changes/upgrades.

I opted for a large frame for the higher front end and longer top tube, but have ordered a Ritchey stem in 100mm flavour to shorten the reach, increase control and alow the saddle to be run further back and shift my weight a little further back than the stock 120mm item will allow.

Otherwise took it boxed from the store and built it myself, stripped and greased the BB30 and i think i have just about got the BB5's set up spot on and just need to bed in fully.

Saddle and pedals changed for my normal ones and some 25mm Gators fitted for commuter duties. Currently using the 110mm stem from the T3 until the new one arrives.

Next will be another set of wheels, preferably lighter ones to run on the road with the gators and keep the Ritchey OC's fitted with x tires for mixed terrain, although my options on this front would appear to be quite limited at the moment!

Here she is:
569cf385-4ccb-bcf7.jpg

Top Bottom