Carbon framed road bike used all year round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought a Spesh Tricross disc, which looks to have a similar shape to that Boardman. I tested that but was put off by the double and the fact that it was Halfrauds. Have now used the Spesh with a rack and panniers and I was delighted with the way it all went together and rode - it makes an excellent tourer. Not much cop as a crosser though.

400bhp

Guru
Erm... Not sure. I have never really liked or used mudguards on any bike. The fact they fit was irrelevant to my choice as was the ability to fit a rack...

So why buy a cx? Why not just buy a road bike?

OP
OP
L

lb81

So why buy a cx? Why not just buy a road bike?

It was all down to fit and intended use.

I ride 40 road miles a day for the commute. At weekends i ride a lot of trails paths and bridleways etc with lots of roads in between, so ending up with a CX which can do both all week means i can sell both my existing bikes use the CX as an all purpose 'do it all' bike and maybe have a look at a pure road fixed wheel for which i have had a hankering for years as my mtb is often run as a SS!

PK99

Legendary Member
I bought a Spesh Tricross disc, which looks to have a similar shape to that Boardman. I tested that but was put off by the double and the fact that it was Halfrauds. Have now used the Spesh with a rack and panniers and I was delighted with the way it all went together and rode - it makes an excellent tourer. Not much cop as a crosser though.

The tricross is no longer sold by specialized as a cyclocross bike! The Cruz is their cross bike, the tricross is tagged " multi use"

d87francis

The thing is I only really have the space for two bikes.
There's always space for more bikes! I have them in my porch, airing cupboard, and locked on two of the landings in the indoor stairwell of our flats against the handrail.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The Van Nicholas Mistral is around £1600, FatBirds have some different build options starting at £1349. The Sabbath Silk Road at £1799 with Tiagra is a little over budget but worth a look.
before buying a Van Nicholas.....ask User10571. I've been amazed at the poor (first) response he got when his frame cracked. He's sorted it now, but, after this I'd never get one. The service Susie got when here cf Spesh had the same crack was first rate.

There's a bloke in my club who rides one of the cheaper carbon frames all year round.

there's a bloke I know who rides a Colnago EPS with Super Record all year round - his argument (which is not unreasonable) is that as long as the bike is looked after, nothing bad will happen...

Top Bottom