Carbon Rails and Rail Mounted Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I've got a Giant Aero Vector Seatpost and was thinking about mounting my rear light on my saddle rails instead of ruining the aesthetics of the seatpost/bike. Cateye do a RM-1 Saddle Rail bracket which I believe is the fourth picture on this page

http://www.cateye.com/uk/products/detail/TL-LD650/

My worry is that it may be detrimental to the carbon rails of my saddle. Has anyone got a similar set up or what solutions have you come up with regarding fitting lights to an aero carbon seatpost.

Also, instead of starting loads of threads, what easy fit mudgaurds do the owners of compact frames prefer. I have SKS RaceGaurds on my now second bike but due to the constant movement they have dug away at my rear brakes. I'd like to avoid this on my new bike.

TIA for any advice recieved.

Tomba

Had a quick look at the RM-1 Saddle bracket and really like the idea. I've got the Cateye belt clip attached to a strap on the bag under my saddle and it doesn't inspire me with confidence.

No idea if it'd be good for carbon rails though, but it'll bump your post to the top again :smile:

If I remember correctly a bag of bits (reflectors, etc) came with my Bianchi one of the bits was a light that did actually clip to the saddle rails, no idea how effective it was though.
Two birds with one stone perhaps, I don't like much cluttler on my bikes, so I like to go for a small saddle bag that mounts to the rails and has a loop for a light.
I'm no idea how either would affect carbon rails.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just don't over tighten it and it won't be a problem. Your saddle rails are designed to support a weight much larger than a light above them.

OP
OP
S

SoloCyclist

Just don't over tighten it and it won't be a problem. Your saddle rails are designed to support a weight much larger than a light above them.

This was my thought to. I just wasn't sure if the strength of the carbon was directional but I suppose as the seatpost clamps it. it will not be a problem. Just didn't want to add any pressure drawing the rails towards each other if the bracket didn't exactly match.
I've ordered the bracket which won't be coming in till after the new year and in the meantime I've also ordered a Moon Shield that I'm not sure but may suit the aero post. One way or another I will decide which suits best then sell the other.

[QUOTE 1633439, member: 45"]The saddle rail bracket for the Exposure Flare is only fixed with an elastic band, so it shouldn't damage the rails.[/quote]

Again I would worry that the elastic was drawing the rails in a direction they don't want to be going.

If I remember correctly a bag of bits (reflectors, etc) came with my Bianchi one of the bits was a light that did actually clip to the saddle rails, no idea how effective it was though.
Two birds with one stone perhaps, I don't like much cluttler on my bikes, so I like to go for a small saddle bag that mounts to the rails and has a loop for a light.
I'm no idea how either would affect carbon rails.

The fizik saddle that came with my bike has an integrated system for a light or a bag but it is limited to one not very good light and I'm going stick with the Selle Italia SLR that suits my a**e. ^_^

OP
OP
S

SoloCyclist

[QUOTE 1633885, member: 45"]it wouldn't. The rails sit in grooves on the bracket.[/quote]

Aah! Looks a cracking light too. At this rate I'm going to be spoiled for choice.

Top Bottom