Carbon road bike recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tahir

Regular
Looking to buy my first road bike

My budget is 1500-2000£

would like electronic shifting , ultegra spec and carbon frame

Which is best bike for money in that range ?

Also where best to buy

I have tried a few sizes and 56cm is about right

I am 182cm tall (just under 6foot)

Always like best so font mind spending big for right bike

Thanks

sazzaa

Do you go out cycling much? As a beginner I'm wondering what has made you think you need that spec?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Best for what? Sounds like you are just focused on buying spec'. Maybe have a think about what you really need and then start to narrow down choices. You can get a terrific first road bike for way less money than that.

OP
OP
tahir

tahir

Regular
Yep I to 10-20 miles 3 times a week on my mountain bike

But gonna dedicate that to trails

I have been borrowing my mates cannondale carbon 56cm ultrgra spec and it's bob on

Just wanted Di2 electronic shifting - better shifting all round I heard

Wanted to know which brands to go for

Was thinking specialized or trek ?

MikeG

Guru
I guarantee you'll be wasting your money.

For a start, you can't actually know what you want, or what will suit you, until you start doing a few miles. Secondly, this "best" thing is a load of nonsense. Who says electronic shifting is better? Who says it is worth the extra to have ultegra gear? Who told you that paying for an expensive group-set is better than, say, paying for expensive wheels, or a better frame?

sazzaa

Meh, if you want something you think is cool instead of something suitable then go for it. It's your cash. Not sure why you've posted asking for opinions though since you have the internet to search the two brands and specific spec you're after.

vickster

Legendary Member

I have been borrowing my mates cannondale carbon 56cm ultrgra spec and it's bob on

Ridley Excalibur from pearsons, nice and cool in the green :smile: come up big though so get proper advice. Dare to be different ;)

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/content/106/Ridley-Excalibur/

Don't know of anything else off the peg with di2 for 2k. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist though!
Trek and specialized on a carbon frame, you'll be lucky to get full ultegra for 2k

If that's the spec you want, buy it, it's your cash ultimately

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I don't have any views on the two brands you have mentioned, both well established brands with good reputations and customer support.
Value for money I would also consider UK finished bikes like PlanetX, Ribble or Dolan. You will get a lot more bang for your buck but with less big Co back up.

OP
OP
tahir

tahir

Regular
Cheers vikster

vickster

Legendary Member
Hacienda71 is right, but i certainly wouldn't be spending 2k on my first roadbike via mail order. All of the recommended companies have shops and offer good advice there, but are oop north though. Pearsons are in SW London so it a bit depends where you are.

Trek and specialized are sold all over, but the former you can only buy in shops and the latter control the prices in their dealers, so you'll find the same cost pretty much all over so buy locally from the lbs with the best service

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

I have a vast amount of experience with all types of electronic shifting from First Generation Di2 through to E-Wire Ui2 not forgetting EPS and Open shift. I have installed, owned and troubleshooted all variants, included modified. I am also a major fan of Electronic shifting when its done right.
Who ever informed you that it offers better shifting all round is simply wrong. It offers more consistent shifting and nothing more.
Once electronic shifting is setup you only need to charge the battery where as mechanical systems are subject to cable stretch.

Anyone who states electronic gives better shifting would make me question their ability to set up and maintain a mechanical system.

I also doubt your in Specialized price range for the budget you have, and Trek is just a horrible brand IMHO.

BAtoo

Über Member

If it's ""bob on"" then why isn't this the bike for you????????

Top Bottom