Carbon road bike suitable for commuting???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Trek madone 3.1 has mudguard mounts and a trek branded rack too.

Should be around the 1k Mark of there's any left......

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Perhaps in the same way that you would help a drunken friend who was intent on doing something that appeared rather silly?:whistle:
I think your anology is somewhat off the mark......there is nothing silly in buying a carbon bike to commute, as its no different from any other bike, just made of a different material.....

And from what i learnt in my younger days, digestive biscuits, honey, cheesecake are all food items and not materials.....but i expect nothing different from the likes of @Citius but very surprised that @young Ed was influenced by him so easily

snorri

Legendary Member
I think your anology is somewhat off the mark......there is nothing silly in buying a carbon bike to commute,
I didn't suggest there was!.
My response was in answer to your post asking why people don't answer the question posed in the OP. As this sort of thing happens quite frequently on a wide variety of topics, I simply advanced a possible reason.
Sorry if I failed to make that clear.:smile:

Last edited:

maxfox44

As a complete noob, can someone explain why carbon is a poor choice for year round commuting. Are they just more expensive per mile, based on wear? Or are they actually weak? Or is it just the lack of mudguard and rack options?

I'm interested as I'm in the early stages of replacing my 25 year old mtb for a proper road. From my initial research, alu frames offer the best all round value and appear to be similar in weight terms. Or get a 1kg heavier bike and lay off the biscuits, flapjack and cheesecakes for while.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
As a complete noob, can someone explain why carbon is a poor choice for year round commuting. Are they just more expensive per mile, based on wear? Or are they actually weak? Or is it just the lack of mudguard and rack options?

I'm interested as I'm in the early stages of replacing my 25 year old mtb for a proper road. From my initial research, alu frames offer the best all round value and appear to be similar in weight terms. Or get a 1kg heavier bike and lay off the biscuits, flapjack and cheesecakes for while.
It isn't, it's just another material frames can be made from.

ayceejay

Guru
To be fair saying that carbon fibre is just another material frames can be made from.is like saying that Charlize Theron is just another woman
charlize theron in mad max ap.jpg

Citius

And from what i learnt in my younger days, digestive biscuits, honey, cheesecake are all food items and not materials.....but i expect nothing different from the likes of @Citius but very surprised that @young Ed was influenced by him so easily

The most puzzling thing of all is that you seem to be taking this seriously. When you get a minute, look up the phrase 'light-hearted banter'.

Top Bottom