Carbon road bike suitable for commuting???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
I know the pain of living ontop of a hill! Ive four choices, one of the hardest climbs in britain, a 2 mile uphil slog or a 1.5 mile steeper uphil slog, also got the option of a 5-10 mile detour i sometimes prefer to take rather than doing the hill lol, but anyway back to the original post buy whatever you want! Carbonsgreat so is alloy.

There are a bunch of carbon Audax bikes which take rack, 'guards and have long-drop brakes for 28mm tyres.
I think they may be all the same frame with different shop stickers.
Dolan, Hewitt, Pearson, Tifosi and Ribble

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't know which pearson you mean, they have carbon road bikes and a cc, no tourer at least in the current range

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
One persons excessive cost, is another persons cheap as chips.........commute on whatever you like, can afford and enjoy

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi
I'm currently looking to buy a new road bike and want to make the leap to carbon. I currently have an aluminium frame that I've put a lightweight pannier rack on so I can use for commuting as well as my leisurely rides.
I was going to buy a new carbon road bike and keep my existing bike for commuting/winter riding only but I thought this may be a waste of money??
So can anyone recommend a carbon road bike that I can attach a pannier rack to (not clamped to the seat post or a beam rack)? Basically a carbon all rounder (if such a thing exists)..
I prefer to put any luggage (lightweight) on the bike as opposed to carrying it in a rucksack due to me having a bad back.
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Cheers
Danny
The OP suggests the poster does not want to spend 2.5k+

Maybe he can enlighten as to what budget he is thinking for this, under £1k he won't be able to fix the rack to the frame (unless he doesn't need any other component on it), he could use the seat collar if happy. Might also help to know how much weight he commutes with

AndyRM

XOXO
That'll end up being a £2.5k bike, seems a tad excessive for commuting, but each to their own!

The Dolan seems a sensible choice from £1300 up

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-dual-carbon-road-bike.html

(or get a less costly weekend toy and commute on the existing alu)

You reckon? If you went for budget everything I think you could get it around the same mark as the Dolan (which I'm claiming one of them TMN things off you for :okay:).

vickster

Legendary Member
You reckon? If you went for budget everything I think you could get it around the same mark as the Dolan (which I'm claiming one of them TMN things off you for :okay:).
That certainly didn't work with my Genesis, the frame was £400, finished product £1700 odd...and I don't have very expensive tastes!

Why would you spend £850 on a classy frame and then stick budget parts on it...? It'd probably end up weighing more than the lightweight alu bike that the OP already had

Unless weight reduction and potentially more speed aren't the aim of the carbon bike (the OP hasn't elucidated on this, nor as to why carbon is a leap...for what reasons?)

AndyRM

XOXO
That certainly didn't work with my Genesis, the frame was £400, finished product £1700 odd...and I don't have very expensive tastes!

Why would you spend £850 on a classy frame and then stick budget parts on it...? It'd probably end up weighing more than the lightweight alu bike that the OP already had

Unless weight reduction and potentially more speed aren't the aim of the carbon bike (the OP hasn't elucidated on this, nor as to why carbon is a leap...for what reasons?)

Agreed on all counts.

vickster

Legendary Member
I know someone who's had two, more than happy, uses as a commuter, with a seatpost rack. He destroyed the first in a crash, his fault entirely!

Mixed views on their customer service though on this site. Go buy in person

Wafer

Veteran
Chap here got a Ribble frame and built up the rest himself I believe as a winter bike(was also knocked off this time last year so may have been a replacement for that bike), he does a lot of miles and has gotten on well with it.

young Ed

Veteran
as for the weight mentioned, i've got a alu road bike running 105 shimano groupset and upgraded to bontrager wheels that weighs in at less than 10kg naked with no lights, saddle pack etc on
for MOST people that would be quite light enough for commuting so carbon isn't NEEDED to have a light weight bike
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom