Carbon road bike suitable for commuting???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
People just don't like carbon.... No idea why, you've got to think what sorts of things it makes, cars, space equipment ect... It's going to take a beating, and from my experience it really does.

ayceejay

Guru
In spite of what Jowwy says I would keep the bike you have now for commuting and buy a nice bike for the week-ends. Your nice bike does not have to be carbon.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
In spite of what Jowwy says I would keep the bike you have now for commuting and buy a nice bike for the week-ends. Your nice bike does not have to be carbon.
Im just going by what the OP says in his post and sticking to his question

young Ed

Veteran
as already said, you wouldn't ride a MTB in TDF because it's just not meant for it and isn't designed for it. the same as your commute isn't a down and out race or endurance event. a carbon is meant for either down and out races or long distance on road endurance depending on set up and frame geometry etc (but that's another story)

so as said for commuting you want a relaxed frame geometry that is comfortable to ride and will get you there swiftly and smoothly without worrying about it breaking or getting nicked. a entry-mid range relaxed aluminum bike (they are almost all with carbon fork over about £400) fits that perfectly
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Because he wants a carbon bike

NOT alu, NOT steel.....he wants CARBON.........and seatpost collars with rack mounts are easy to find ( look i have two in my draw)

Why cant people just help the OP with question he asked.......
because if we point him to a carbon bike that is with in his budget and can take a bit of luggage and he goes out and buys it and then finds that it doesn't really suit the job he's not going to be very happy
Cheers Ed

gavintc

Guru
I commuted for 2 yrs on a carbon Cervelo. I did not use a rack, just put my stuff in a back pack. I was also lucky and could store bike in my office. Not a problem, but security worries mean that I now use my alu bike for the commute and use the Cervelo for weekend rides.

jack smith

Veteran
I commuted for 2 yrs on a carbon Cervelo. I did not use a rack, just put my stuff in a back pack. I was also lucky and could store bike in my office. Not a problem, but security worries mean that I now use my alu bike for the commute and use the Cervelo for weekend rides.
Cervelo's are the way forward for commuting 22mph average on my way in! Whoooshhhh:bicycle:

jack smith

Veteran
And yes its mainly downhill! Getting home is a nightmare climbing a mile and a half hill with lots of other short sharp ones with a bag

jnrmczip

I love how it's stated time and time again that carbon isn't ment to take stress I've seen 15 stone riders on them. Which means if the op is 12 stone he can easily get away with 3 stone on a rack. To the op get a nice cyclocross to commute really comfy. Old bikes are for the grind suggest you keep the new shiny one for fun

jowwy

because if we point him to a carbon bike that is with in his budget and can take a bit of luggage and he goes out and buys it and then finds that it doesn't really suit the job he's not going to be very happy
Cheers Ed
Would be the same if you pointed him towards alu, steel, ti within his budget too

jowwy

as already said, you wouldn't ride a MTB in TDF because it's just not meant for it and isn't designed for it. the same as your commute isn't a down and out race or endurance event. a carbon is meant for either down and out races or long distance on road endurance depending on set up and frame geometry etc (but that's another story)

so as said for commuting you want a relaxed frame geometry that is comfortable to ride and will get you there swiftly and smoothly without worrying about it breaking or getting nicked. a entry-mid range relaxed aluminum bike (they are almost all with carbon fork over about £400) fits that perfectly
Cheers Ed
Have to disagree with you young ed

Plenty of relaxed geomtry carbon around for commuting on.....i remember a certain mr haermoticrit buying a specialized roubaux disc di2 to commute on. You can commute on anything you like. Just cause its carbon, doesnt make it a race bike at all, its just a different frame material

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Cheers Ed

All complete nonsense.
I see more carbon bikes on my commute in London then any other. He want's a carbon bike and carbon bikes are just as good on a commute as on any other ride.
Any bike will get nicked if an opportunity presents itself to a thief.

vickster

Legendary Member
But do those carbon roadbike commuters have a fixed rack on their bikes? I certainly don't recall seeing any in the City lately

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
But do those carbon roadbike commuters have a fixed rack on their bikes? I certainly don't recall seeing any in the City lately

It's not popular no, but have seen a couple. Utilising what @jowwy suggested. It can be done quite easy with no problems. Just a case of do you really want to?

Top Bottom