Carbon road bike suitable for commuting???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dzabhi

Hi
I'm currently looking to buy a new road bike and want to make the leap to carbon. I currently have an aluminium frame that I've put a lightweight pannier rack on so I can use for commuting as well as my leisurely rides.
I was going to buy a new carbon road bike and keep my existing bike for commuting/winter riding only but I thought this may be a waste of money??
So can anyone recommend a carbon road bike that I can attach a pannier rack to (not clamped to the seat post or a beam rack)? Basically a carbon all rounder (if such a thing exists)..
I prefer to put any luggage (lightweight) on the bike as opposed to carrying it in a rucksack due to me having a bad back.
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Cheers
Danny

vickster

Legendary Member
What are you expecting from carbon? It's different but not necessarily better depending on your use and preferences

I don't know of any carbon road bikes that take a rack and proper mudguards

Why can't you use a beam rack?

Last edited:

MiK1138

Veteran
Dont you listen to them mate I commute on my Carbon but can't help on panniers i'm afraid as i carry everything on my back (well you dont want to add weight to the bike now do you:laugh:)

Citius

I was going to buy a new carbon road bike and keep my existing bike for commuting/winter riding only but I thought this may be a waste of money??

To be honest, that sounds eminently more sensible than attaching a rack to a carbon bike and commuting on it.

sidevalve

Über Member
Just why ?
Pro's - you get your new bike
Con's - it won't be much better [if any] for commuting. It will be 1000% more stealable. It was not really designed to carry luggage.
Use it for what it is for.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can commute on a unicycle - a lad I went to school with did so. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the best option of comfort, speed, durability, riding position etc for years of faithful commuting service.

jack smith

Veteran
ive commuted on an s works venge/tarmac and cervelo r5 regularly lol always used a rucksack though!

buggi

Bird Saviour
To be honest, that sounds eminently more sensible than attaching a rack to a carbon bike and commuting on it.
+1 that's what most of us do. Don't get hung up on carbon for the sake of it tho. Check the weight differences, sometimes your talking 150 grams for a £300 difference yet the bike has the same spec . I have a full carbon road bike and a Alu cross bike with carbon forks... Road bike was £1800, cross bike was £300 second hand. And I prefer riding the latter.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Funny how some people say dont do this, dont do that rather than help the OP with his question

You can commute to work on anybike you so wish, not everybody wants to hear opinions on whether the OP should do it.

Remove seatpost clamp and refit seatpost clamp with rack eyelets, buy a rack attachment that utilises the quick release skewer and voila you can fit a pannier rack, that hardly stresses the carbon frame. Easily removable for weekend rides/sportives

But hey be careful OP it may melt in the rain, some seem to beleive anyway

Drago

Legendary Member
Beam racks exert a nice bit of leverage on the seat post. Not nice on any frame, especially not a carbon one which can be very weak in directions/planes it was not designed to carry any real stresses.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Because he wants a carbon bike

NOT alu, NOT steel.....he wants CARBON.........and seatpost collars with rack mounts are easy to find ( look i have two in my draw)

Why cant people just help the OP with question he asked.......

Top Bottom