carbon vs aluminium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
It is not all about the weight!

It is about ride quality, stiffness where it is required, compliance where it is required, etc etc.

Carbon allows much greater manipulation of frame shape whilst maintaining low weight, thus it is possible to design features such as oversized bottom bracket areas etc to aid in power transfer without the weight penalty you would pay with other materials.

It is all about the weight. The biggest weight savings can be made shifting fat. It is pointless debating carbon versus aluminium if the rider is 6 stones over weight. Utterly pointless. The best way to becoming a faster cyclist is to get lean and strong increasing one's power to weight ratio. Then the weight of the bike becomes more critical. Most people are over weight so riding a marginally heavier bike will help them shift the kilos of extra fat they are carrying . Even put some bricks in the rear panniers to help them become a stronger rider.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I can't lose anymore body weight 10 stone 7, 5ft 7ins, but there are a few more grams to come of the bike.^_^

Crankarm

Guru
It depends hugely on the intended use. It also depends greatly on what "better" means.

I recall some study about commuting where the carbon bike with all the bells was no faster than a "lesser specced bike".

Yes. For 1 day you get to swap bikes with Fabian Cancellara. I guarantee he will drop you within seconds as he rides off on into the distance on your bike and you are left behind on his.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is all about the weight. The biggest weight savings can be made shifting fat. It is pointless debating carbon versus aluminium if the rider is 6 stones over weight. Utterly pointless. The best way to becoming a faster cyclist is to get lean and strong increasing one's power to weight ratio. Then the weight of the bike becomes more critical. Most people are over weight so riding a marginally heavier bike will help them shift the kilos of extra fat they are carrying . Even put some bricks in the rear panniers to help them become a stronger rider.

Crankarm, you talk a load of old crap.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes is the simple answer, now stop arguing.^_^

400bhp

Guru
Crankarm, you talk a load of old crap.

He did make a valid point didn't he?

Threads like this remind me of the motorsport threads where people would be more interested in losing weight off the car than becoming a better driver.

Cyclist > bike

Never the other way around.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
He did make a valid point didn't he?

Threads like this remind me of the motorsport threads where people would be more interested in losing weight off the car than becoming a better driver.

Cyclist > bike

Never the other way around.

He quoted me and commented contrary to what I had said. In doing so he was incorrect on several accounts. 1) The benefit of carbon over alu is NOT all about the weight (especially not in absolute terms). 2) Power to weight ratio making the faster cyclist (this is conditional).

400bhp

Guru
He quoted me and commented contrary to what I had said. In doing so he was incorrect on several accounts. 1) The benefit of carbon over alu is NOT all about the weight. 2) Power to weight ratio making the faster cyclist (this is conditional).

1. Depends. It is for the average Joe. None of us here (as far as I can tell) are special cyclists.

2. Conditional on what? Generally it's true.

Top Bottom