carbon vs aluminium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Any weight saving that is made by riding a carbon bike is likely to be offset by the weight of the hefty lock that would be needed to deter thieving bastards from trying to nicking it.

Kies

Any weight saving that is made by riding a carbon bike is likely to be offset by the weight of the hefty lock that would be needed to deter thieving b******s from trying to nicking it.

...... Or the overweight MAMIL upon it ;)

Mallory

Yes. For 1 day you get to swap bikes with Fabian Cancellara. I guarantee he will drop you within seconds as he rides off on into the distance on your bike and you are left behind on his.

The plus point is that he's disappeared into the distance on your old bike while u ride off in the other direction on his super machine :-)

Patronising you? How so?

I don't disagree with the conclusion that a carbon bike won't by default make the OP faster. I am pretty sure it won't in most circumstances. But the conversation had moved on and the "its just a few grams" comments were starting to emerge. Hence I posted stating that generally, the benefits of carbon are not just weight savings, to which Crankarm made an, incorrect, statement to the contrary.

So what are the other benefits of carbon, with or without fibre? Extra strength, stiffness etc.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So what are the other benefits of carbon, with or without fibre? Extra strength, stiffness etc.

It is not all about the weight!

It is about ride quality, stiffness where it is required, compliance where it is required, etc etc.

Carbon allows much greater manipulation of frame shape whilst maintaining low weight, thus it is possible to design features such as oversized bottom bracket areas etc to aid in power transfer without the weight penalty you would pay with other materials.
Sorry but your very much mistaken imho the nature of carbon fibre permits you to control accurately the characteristics of the final product.
The resin used during the carbon fibre layup process, the type of weave of the carbon used can unidirectional, 3k or 12k or a twill weave. Not to mention the prepreg process can permit an engineer to design into the product the characteristics and torsional rigidity desired
You do not have this level of control with Aluminium as such its not used in enviroments where specific characteristics including high strength and low weight is desired, these include F1, Aircraft Design, and Wind Turbines.

It's worth noting that every material has its good and bad points, and ultimately the material is only as good as it is implimented. Aluminium however can not give carbon a run for its money, it's a great material and has great characteristics which are not comparable to carbon.

Crankarm

Guru

Carbon fibre - more fibre keeps you more mobile.

Crankarm

Guru
Patronising you? How so?

I don't disagree with the conclusion that a carbon bike won't by default make the OP faster. I am pretty sure it won't in most circumstances. But the conversation had moved on and the "its just a few grams" comments were starting to emerge. Hence I posted stating that generally, the benefits of carbon are not just weight savings, to which Crankarm made an, incorrect, statement to the contrary.

No I didn't. You were and still are trolling.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Wil a carbon bike make you a faster rider
I did the same route last week on my aluminium Forme Longcliffe and again this morning on my carbon Specialized Ruby. Average ride time exactly the same. Had a slight head wind on the way home today so may have slowed a fraction but there is surprisingly little difference between them.

Top Bottom