Cardio vs Legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Okay, I Started my cycling journey mainly to get cardio fit and use cycling to work as my workout.

My commute is 14.8 miles each way, fairly hilly but nothing drastic.

When I first started back in March (took the winter off) my times were around 1.02 - 1.05 they are now around 53-58 minutes.

The problem is as a workout it is now not that productive for a good cardio workout. When I was going slower my avg HR for the journey was 130-140 75-80% and peaked on the hills at 150-160 I have a predicted max of 174.
But this morning was 55 minutes Avg HR 118 peaked at 145.

It has switched from my CV system being the liminting factor to my legs, I have the breath and heart to go faster but my legs cannot deliver, if that makes sense!

Any suggestions, or is it a case of give it time, I would really like to get at least on hour a day running at 75-80% heart rate.

david1701

I'm not an expert, but riding fixed is meant to be good for legs, lungs and technique ?

Dan B

Disengaged member
What's your cadence? Try dropping a gear or two and pedalling faster - that should be easier on the legs and harder on the heart

amaferanga

Veteran
Could be that you need a rest - one of the signs of overtraining is struggling to get your HR up. Indeed, even the day after a hard race I find I struggle to get my HR up, but its usually back to normal after a day or two of easier riding.

Or it could just be that you're not trying hard enough
whistling.gif

henshaw11

I've got a similar thing having switched to a recumbent after years on an upright (tho' I've ridden a few summers on it now) Upright, the legs are kinda in balance with CV even when I'm pushing harder rather than spinning. Laid-back...nope. Spinning faster makes some difference but then that isn't doing much for building 'bent legs..
I think it needs a little time with an HRM to work out what's going on, but that'll probably have to wait for the new Etrex to come out, not really worth the £ of resurrecting the aged Polar..

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

Cadence avg is 85 for the hour, feels really un-natural above 95.

Took Friday, Saturday and Sunday off in case it was a bit of overtraining. The only indicator of over training was my resting HR 6 beats lower than cycling days

You could be right about not trying hard enough but the legs just don't want to know, not even after some rest.

At the top of my biggest hill I am not about to collapse out of breath like I was in March/April hence assuming CV has improved.

I might try and up the avg cadence get closer to the 90. Standing definite ups the HR, the other problem is the danger of burning out early in the week, so try hardest Thursday/Friday.

WychwoodTrev

I have gone through a patch the last 2 weeks or so like you are in and no matter what I did my legs just felt like lead and as weak as a kitten a tip I was told was to drink a small glass of milk before bed as it helps feed the muscles when you are sleeping so you repair better, Now this week I feel great just done 3 days on the trot of some fast for me routes and my legs still feel good, I believe you will get through this and come out the outherside fitter and faster :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

More training needed..........

Thought is was as simple as that, do as many full weeks as possible for as long as possible.

What I am not sure of is the over training stuff, my manly side says MTFU keeping going, but keep reading about over doing it.

Having said that this morning felt the best day three so far, my legs were not screaming WTF are you doing as I set off :smile:

amaferanga

Veteran
If you're going out every day and riding as hard as you can go its no wonder you're getting knackered. Have an easy day each week where you ride at a leisurely pace - it'll probably do you a lot of good.

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

If you're going out every day and riding as hard as you can go its no wonder you're getting knackered. Have an easy day each week where you ride at a leisurely pace - it'll probably do you a lot of good.

You are perfectly right, but when I feel tired I start off with the don't mind how long this is going to take, but then find myself ramping up. I cannot seem to do a leisurely ride this year, it is either I hate being overtaken and am trying to be the preverbial hare even if I hardly ever see another cyclist! Or I am hooked on racing against the Garmin. Crazy really.

lulubel

Über Member
I'm not familar with this from a cycling perspective, but from my running experience, I do know there comes a point when to get faster/stronger, you need to run slower. So, I think the people recommending more easy rides and rest days are probably right. It sounds like you're just over tired, or you should be able to raise your heart rate by maintaining a high cadence in a higher gear. The trouble is, once frustration sets in, you just keep trying to carry on and push harder and harder, and it takes a lot of effort and willpower to slow down and take it easy for a bit.

Try leaving the Garmin at home, or use it in a different way. Set yourself a highest average speed you want to achieve for your ride, and make sure you don't go above it. That worked for me when I was trying to improve my running.

amaferanga

Veteran
You are perfectly right, but when I feel tired I start off with the don't mind how long this is going to take, but then find myself ramping up. I cannot seem to do a leisurely ride this year, it is either I hate being overtaken and am trying to be the preverbial hare even if I hardly ever see another cyclist! Or I am hooked on racing against the Garmin. Crazy really.

Leave the Garmin and your ego at home when you want to have an easy day
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Andrew_P

Andrew_P

Two great bits of adivce there going slowly for a while, I can see the logic in that, and without a doubt my ego crys a little tear when ever I have been overtaken.
I reckon that has only happened since reading gloating scalping threads on here!! :biggrin: In fact I have waiting for the fit B***** to post his thread on here when he passed me on my carbon road bike and him on his flat bar alu fixie and the proceeded to blow my doors off going up the steepest hill on my ride...

This week has been up and down, but it has defintely been a stronger feeling for a Wednesday I have been taking the bike in by car on Thursday and just doing the return and morning in to work and come home in the car Friday afternoon.

So maybe just maybe I will try and take it easy Thurs and Friday but do there and back giving me my first full week this year.

thanks for help!

Garz

Squat Member
Your CV system has become more efficient. If you want it to go to the next level then you have to add or change your training. As mentioned above the higher cadence sessions should push your CV system harder to begin with spinning above the normal ranges.

Contradictorily leg strength comes from grinding gears and more severe stresses such as steep inclines. You could try throwing in some power training involving sprint sessions and weights (squats, lunges etc).

Top Bottom