Cargo trailers to fit an e-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steady

Über Member
Hope this is the right category a trailer is sort of an accessory!

So my Dad has bought an 20" wheel eco e-bike, the sole purpose of his bike is to ride down the allotment (a mile journey each way), and sometimes he has to carry a lot of heavy stuff - vegetables, vegetables trays, the odd battery powered drill etc so a front basket likely won't do, but a trailer would be great.

He probably wouldn't be happy spending more than £50

Something like this would be great, unfortunately Halfords don't sell it anymore!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_816427_langId_-1_categoryId_165643

Any ideas/suggestions on where to look?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh he'd have a heart attack if I suggested that! Buying his e-bike was bad enough!

The Eco e-bikes are quite well thought of in a cheap but reasonably sturdy sort of way - they are certainly good value.

Dad needs to keep an eye on the battery mount/connection.

Stuck on the seatpost it's vulnerable to be being clouted, and the connector plug needs a firm push to make sure it's fully home.

It can make an electrical connection but still be physically loose, leading to damage.

OP
OP
Steady

Steady

Über Member
The Eco e-bikes are quite well thought of in a cheap but reasonably sturdy sort of way - they are certainly good value.

Dad needs to keep an eye on the battery mount/connection.

Stuck on the seatpost it's vulnerable to be being clouted, and the connector plug needs a firm push to make sure it's fully home.

It can make an electrical connection but still be physically loose, leading to damage.

They definitely do seem so, he's had his eye on the cheaper variants and stalked eBay for a good couple years.

I'll pass that information on to him, it's great to know what to look out before its an issue, I'm sure he'll find it useful. He's far more technically minded than me with a good history in engineering/electrics.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another thing dad might not be aware of is the way the latest technology batteries need to be cared for.

The old advice of cycling (ho-ho) the battery by fully discharging is now out of date, in fact, it's harmful.

For best performance and life, the battery needs to be kept fully topped up.

Now if dad is literally only doing a mile, there's no need to recharge.

But he should certainly charge after he's done eight or 10 miles, or if the battery indicator drops to half, or if he doesn't use the bike for a few weeks.

Top Bottom