Cargo trailers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a small trailer for a bit, then supersized it to get 2 of the council green waste recycling bags on it to take down to the tip - I got fed up of cleaning out the back of the car. Haven't used it for around 3 years now though as Council since started providing brown bins for the garden waste and for what I found myself using it for subsequently

Problem that we have is that pedestrians and cycles are banned from the recycling centre!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Going to the vets or just cruising?
Hey Ho, to the vets we go :biggrin:
He loves it, the wee horror! Mind, we we actually get there, the howling starts.
It's a journey less then 2 miles, some through a park. The funny looks I get from pedestrians because it seems I am talking to myself, while, of course, I'm talking to BigCat.
@Cunobelin I haven't been to the recycling centre with the trailer yet, there's a sign saying "no pedestrians", nothing about bikes ^_^

brand

Have 4 but getting rid of two. Just bought a Burley Travoy second hand minimal use. He has lost the tie down straps but these are really if you are going to use your own bags. I will have to buy them though. It did come with the 40+ litre tote bag which you fold up the trailer and put it in the bag. There is no way of closing from the elements. Unless I put a strap across the top or fold it over and reducing the capacity. Will probably not buy the extra top bags....or maybe I will!! It cost me £102 all in of Ebay. Can't use it because the nob changed one of the inner tubes to straight valve one. You need one of the old fashioned pumps for it. You cannot attach a modern pump to it as there isn't enough room. Just ordered 2 bent valve tubes so should be able to test ride it Wednesday.
PS got 5th one last week a massive 4 wheeled trailer for a car....obviously can't attach to my bike but can attach to mates van and fetch free firewood. Cost nowt and in great condition. Just got to get it out of the wood where it has been for 3 years.....oh I love free wood! I fetched wood in one of my trailers for a while. One lot of wood was 5 miles away the return journey was a killer. Looked at the pile after 5 journeys and decided I would share with someone who has got a car\van. I mainly use my trailers now for shopping and apples for cider. Occasionally I will still collect some small amounts which don't amount to vehicle load.
Note I saw this one on eBay today:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burley-Tr...590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4c063ca6

Last edited:

brand

My heaviest ever load was a bin full of topsoil. The trailer developed its own personality but I managed a stately 8mph downhill.
8 miles an hour is about maximum, if you go any faster and apply the brakes hard the trailer will overtake you! Specially loaded on the downhill. I keep at 4mph on any steep downhill.

brand

Fuel his central heating! :thumbsup:
We are only allowed to burn smokeless coal in town, most fireplaces have gone :sad:

image.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Love it @brand and @raleighnut! Hope you have a cat or several in front of your fireplaces ^_^

brand

This is my first trailer (i think) main problem with my first 2 trailers was where they attach. No problem if going to shop as you can always lean against wall but if not and they are loaded or even partly loaded you had to tie up the brakes to stop it buggering off. Also nothing to lean it against. A distinct lack of lampposts in rural. Even with could still fall over while trying to disconnect.
Trailer Yellow.JPG

Yellow Trailer.jpg

Used for wood as well as it was excellent off road.

This was my second purchase. Absolutely silent would never know it was there and it doesn't tip pass the 45 degree no matter how much I overloaded something I did regularly. Which had a tendency to make it very wobbly. Again problem with disconnecting it. It attaches via a specially skewer which comes with it.

Cider.jpg

\
19-10-10_1216.jpg

The last is a couple of extra large compost bins I got of freecycle. Wasn't in the least bit wobbly and with the wind behind me was an easy ride home.

Now this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Trai...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e98a0f178
at first hand this looks like a good trailer. Very easy to disconnect. Alas a little to cheap. The coupling could not be attached to ANY seatpost and the frame itself had been crimped in 2 places instead of welded. Not very good quality metal. it is rusting away. It is in fact supposed to take 90 kilos? Cost me 17 pound to put right but I got all my money back. Plastic box is superb quality and is in the house full of wood. I have no intentions of binning it as it is perfect for small amounts of wood not worth a car pick up. Great for apples just push into orchard.

image (2).jpg

Not a great picture see sellers ebay listing above. Pity the quality is so bad.

The last one I bought last week, waiting for a replacement inner tubes as one wheel has a straight valve and I need a bent valve to get a pump to fit.

image.jpg

A burley Travoy trailer. Can fit another bag above. Probably use this for shopping. Quality at last and a reasonable price at 100 pound. Normally around 250 pound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom