Cargo trailers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brand

@brand ime using a bike with a kickstand for towing makes matters easier.
One of my bikes has a kick stand. That will be used for the Burley.

Try wrapping a thick elastic band round the grip, then when you stop it can go round the brake lever. Instant Handbrake. :becool:
That is What I did for my first 2 trailers but no way of disconnecting with out finding something to lean the bike against. Either way the cheap trailer will easily disconnect and push to where I will load it.
Pity I could not bring myself to spend money on quality trailers unlike my last 2 bikes purchases. Thorn Raven Enduro with Rohloff gears and Travelmaster again with Rohloff gears. Both second hand but obviously last forever. Low maintenance and difficult to break, even for me!
I will get rid of the first 2 trailers. Maybe replace the third one with one of similar design but quality make....and of course second hand!

Last edited:

brand

PS I always ask my daughters for the same Christmass present every year

image (1).jpg

They never get it me. Not to much to ask for?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Here's mine:

DSC_0393.jpg

Fillet-brazed from scrap steel tube, sourced from a factory nearby where they make tubular steel things and the odd length gets bent. 16" wheels from Ebay. The spaceframe sides are very strong. The trailer is big enough to carry three folding crates of shopping, a folding dog kennel thingy (with dog) or two bikes standing on their handlebars. It's carried bags of cement, endless loads of garden rubbish, several small children.... (Dog not included. But he loved attention).

Attachments

• DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 28

brand

Will probably use one of my trailers, the black one for a dog. Getting a Springer as soon as mate breeds his. Going to be a working dog but I need a bit of a push to get walking again. My knee has been knackered after I got septic arthritis. I can do about 3 miles maybe 4 walking before the knee gets to painful and starts swelling. So a dog will force me to start walking again and I can always have the dog run with me or if to far she can get in the trailer for part of the ride. Need to do a lot more foraging got far to lazy after the illness.

Archeress

Veteran
I have been interested in a trailer but would want to tow it with my MTB, but the MTB is a 29er. Are there any models that can be towed using such large wheels?

Hugs
Archeress x

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have been interested in a trailer but would want to tow it with my MTB, but the MTB is a 29er. Are there any models that can be towed using such large wheels?

Hugs
Archeress x
You should be fine with any that clamp to the chainstay/axle, loads of clearance on mine using a 700c rear wheel (at least 5 inches)
Halfrauds do a reasonable one

Sandra6

Veteran
I like the look of the burley travoy.
I just tie things to the rear rack, but I had a minor shopping sucked into the wheel incident recently so I'm planning on being more sensible.
Strangest "load" for me was bringing home a pet bunny in a box carefully gaffer taped in place. image.jpg

Sara_H

Guru
This is my first trailer (i think) main problem with my first 2 trailers was where they attach. No problem if going to shop as you can always lean against wall but if not and they are loaded or even partly loaded you had to tie up the brakes to stop it buggering off. Also nothing to lean it against. A distinct lack of lampposts in rural. Even with could still fall over while trying to disconnect.
View attachment 80018

View attachment 80019
Used for wood as well as it was excellent off road.

This was my second purchase. Absolutely silent would never know it was there and it doesn't tip pass the 45 degree no matter how much I overloaded something I did regularly. Which had a tendency to make it very wobbly. Again problem with disconnecting it. It attaches via a specially skewer which comes with it.

View attachment 80020

\ View attachment 80024

The last is a couple of extra large compost bins I got of freecycle. Wasn't in the least bit wobbly and with the wind behind me was an easy ride home.

Now this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Trai...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e98a0f178
at first hand this looks like a good trailer. Very easy to disconnect. Alas a little to cheap. The coupling could not be attached to ANY seatpost and the frame itself had been crimped in 2 places instead of welded. Not very good quality metal. it is rusting away. It is in fact supposed to take 90 kilos? Cost me 17 pound to put right but I got all my money back. Plastic box is superb quality and is in the house full of wood. I have no intentions of binning it as it is perfect for small amounts of wood not worth a car pick up. Great for apples just push into orchard.

View attachment 80025

Not a great picture see sellers ebay listing above. Pity the quality is so bad.

The last one I bought last week, waiting for a replacement inner tubes as one wheel has a straight valve and I need a bent valve to get a pump to fit.

View attachment 80026
A burley Travoy trailer. Can fit another bag above. Probably use this for shopping. Quality at last and a reasonable price at 100 pound. Normally around 250 pound.
I REALLY want a Burley Travoy, but I can't afford one :cry:

brand

I REALLY want a Burley Travoy, but I can't afford one :cry:

Cost me just over £100 (I think). I find if you bide your time long enough you get everything at the right price. I have a FIFTH trailer on the way. Basically the same as the 3rd one (the black one). It is, according to the seller great quality. Not metal covered in plastic (a sure sign of sh*t). He has cleaned it down and applied a primer although I am going to Hammerite it. So now have 3 trailers to get rid off!

Sara_H

Guru
Cost me just over £100 (I think). I find if you bide your time long enough you get everything at the right price. I have a FIFTH trailer on the way. Basically the same as the 3rd one (the black one). It is, according to the seller great quality. Not metal covered in plastic (a sure sign of sh*t). He has cleaned it down and applied a primer although I am going to Hammerite it. So now have 3 trailers to get rid off!
I'm considering a Bellelli B-Tourist which is similar concept and can be got for about 90GBP on amazon. I use a Granny shopping trolley anywayso might as well have one that I can use as a trailer.

brand

I'm considering a Bellelli B-Tourist which is similar concept and can be got for about 90GBP on amazon. I use a Granny shopping trolley anywayso might as well have one that I can use as a trailer.
I use a granny shopping trolley when I get the bus into town but they don't part with them with out a fight!

Top Bottom