Carless??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
In the road around the corner is a kiddy trailer that's just rotting away. I've been thinking of knocking on the door and asking if they'd consider selling it to me. I am sure that I could do it up and make it pooch friendly for trips to the vet.
I got mine on ebay for nearly 20 quids.
Its a halfords single seater. I immediately chopped the seat out and have used it as a general cargo lugging trailer a few times,
However, with the dog now having arthitis, seems we may need to press it into action as a dogmobile!

We have a car, primarily because we cycle :wacko:.
Rather we didn't though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No car here, last time I had access to one was 12 years ago.
Got my bikes, trailer, panniers, baskets.
Then again I have no kids, live within a 5 mile radius from city centre, supermarkets are walking distance.

D

Deleted member 1258

These days I have a car, started driving again around 2012. But for over 30 years I was car free, when me and my Good Lady were first starting out I wanted a house and couldn't afford a mortgage and a car so I never brought one, I had a mortgage instead. Now I have no mortgage and the lads have left home so I can manage a small car. When the lads were small we walked or used the buses to get around, for holidays and outings we used coaches, trains or I hired a car, and when I was on my own I cycled.

screenman

Legendary Member
We still have about 1500 in London.

I can remember the guy lighting one around the corner from where I lived in Hanworth in about 1967. I did not know so many were still about, thanks for that.

screenman

Legendary Member
What are the benefits of going without a car, the only two I can think of is financial and green. Both pretty good ones I must admit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Saving all the time dealing with the blasted DVLA, MoT, servicing, insurers and probably some other stuff I've blotted out of my memory. If even a simple thing goes wrong with a car, beyond the stuff I can DIY, then it's at least two hours running about after it and I live about 5 doors up from our mechanic so that's not travel time!

Edit: oh and all the time choosing and negotiating car purchases every 6ish years.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I drive as little as possible. Since I got a bike, I just loathe it more and more.....but.....you really cannot put five sheets of 18mm MDF on top of your bike when you want to drag them back home, and I can't be bothered to wait in all day just in case the builders' merchant's lorry turns up sometime, which it won't. Having a car is occasionally extremely convenient and flexible, but usually utter misery. I just can't quite make the complete break.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then there's the fitness that comes from walking or cycling where once I might have driven.
It makes a big difference. I have never driven so walking and cycling are second nature to me. Drivers often offer me lifts to save me "a long walk" and seem amazed when I decline because I only have 2 or 3 miles to cover. (I would accept if the weather were really bad or I had something heavy to carry, but otherwise I would rather make my own way.)

I walked 4 miles yesterday on a trip to a hospital appointment in Halifax to save having to mess about with a couple of buses.

I misread the bus timetable when I went to a second hospital appointment in Huddersfield today. The bus I had been going to catch terminated 8 miles short of Hebden Bridge with some big hills in between. It was getting very cold as the sun was setting so I came home on 2 other buses via Halifax instead, but I would have walked the 8 miles if it had been a nice summer evening.

Top Bottom