Carless??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My older brother has a car but has always been fairly fit.

Now retired, he told me always used the lift at work and would often walk a mile or so at lunch to get a sandwich rather than use the nearest shop.

Makes a difference if you do it most days for 40 years.

His frustration now is golf, off he bounds down the fairway, only to have to wait for his mates who are barely able to pull their trolleys off the tee.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My older brother has a car but has always been fairly fit.

Now retired, he told me always used the lift at work and would often walk a mile or so at lunch to get a sandwich rather than use the nearest shop.
Shouldn't that be never?

screenman

Legendary Member
For social, domestic and pleasure leaving out business I average about 250 miles per week. Now I would certainly have to change a lot to go without a car.

For the benefits it brings me it is worth every penny. As for fitness, the car has for me never got in the way of being fit, quite the opposite.

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
We have a car, primarily because we cycle :wacko:.
Rather we didn't though.
Think that's the only thing really that's bothering me. Its nice when it's chucking it down up here in the hills (which it is a lot) to load up the bikes and go somewhere else or to have a change of terrain or scenery and then there's the events going on

Lilmo and I live in the same town. Glossop doesn't have a car club. To be honest, we've only just seem the back of horse-drawn trams around here

Those gas street lamps still give off a nice glow though.

Oh now I really feel old, I used to live next to our village lamplighter when I was a kid :ohmy:

OP
OP
T

Twinks

Über Member
@Lilmo why not SORN your car for six months and see how it goes? That way you haven't burned any bridges. I sold my van after finding that now I'm back living in town I didn't use it enough. I haven't missed it really. Most things that I thought would be difficult have proven to be easily surmountable with a bit of thought.

Sold it yesterday, question is whether to buy another more economical vehicle. Going to see how it is without a while.

400bhp

Guru
I drive as little as possible. Since I got a bike, I just loathe it more and more.....but.....you really cannot put five sheets of 18mm MDF on top of your bike when you want to drag them back home, and I can't be bothered to wait in all day just in case the builders' merchant's lorry turns up sometime, which it won't. Having a car is occasionally extremely convenient and flexible, but usually utter misery. I just can't quite make the complete break.

Pretty much agree with that.

Driving in the UK is just turd.

sheffgirl

Not had a car for 2 1/2 years now. Have to admit it is a bit annoying spending 3 hours each day on public transport to get to work, but the traffic is always bad near my workplace anyway, so driving to work would just annoy me. Cycling takes about the same time, but is far more enjoyable. I plan to buy a car when I get some money, but I wouldn drive to work wveryday

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With SWMBO being made redundant next week (thanks NHS) we're looking at it. We do need one car; my youngest races and we need to get him to races/training/etc plus she travels a lot by car.

Mine's great but it sits there most days; it's not been used since Sunday when I did a few miles only.

We'd still need to hire cars occasionally due to long-distance trips but it'd prove a bit more economical.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With SWMBO being made redundant next week (thanks NHS) we're looking at it. We do need one car; my youngest races and we need to get him to races/training/etc plus she travels a lot by car.

Mine's great but it sits there most days; it's not been used since Sunday when I did a few miles only.

We'd still need to hire cars occasionally due to long-distance trips but it'd prove a bit more economical.
Good excuse for a new bike. :whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
For social, domestic and pleasure leaving out business I average about 250 miles per week. Now I would certainly have to change a lot to go without a car.

For the benefits it brings me it is worth every penny. As for fitness, the car has for me never got in the way of being fit, quite the opposite.
I clock 400+ miles a week, all work related (Car based job).

I like cycling, I like motorcycling (Though don't do it now) and I like driving.

Mrs M

Guru
We only average about 8000 miles a year in the car but wouldn't be without it.
We both work in the city, journey in the car takes around 20 minutes. If we got the bus would be £10.80 per day and a trip lasting anything up to an hour, plus waiting time for the bus (record is 50 mins so far).
Car also handy for trips away, transporting bikes and golf clubs, and shopping, also taking cat to vet and cattery.

Top Bottom