Carless??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Ms AU and I have a 15 year old car and are discussing what to do when it dies or a big bill looms.

She has had to return her licence for medical reasons so I am now the only driver - an activity I no longer enjoy.

My idea is to go carless, use the train and local facilities more and cycle more, with very occasional car hire.

We are looking at this from all angles; just need to take the plunge. I'm pretty sure it will be a relief.

Drago

Legendary Member
Note to those going carless.

When you do, make sure that you let well meaning people know you're doing it out of choice, else you risk ending up getting bequeathed one when someone dies. I'd been carless for a few months when this happened to me, and under the circumstances it would have been very undiplomatic to decline.

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
I've got one, just about to get a new one, current one only has 4k on the clock. Got my wife a new one the other month, she's only used it a few times, but she'll start using it soon when she goes back to the office. Cars are great, they mean I don't have to use buses or trains.

Boopop

Guru
I live alone, work nine miles away from where I live (perfect cycling distance), am a two minute walk from the nearest train station which is forty minutes from London and has a pretty direct route to all my relatives, own a cargo bike and the town centre and nearest supermarkets are about a two minute ride away.

I'm inclined to say given my circumstances owning a car would be a rather stonking waste of money. I've never owned one but do have a driving licence.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Note to those going carless.

When you do, make sure that you let well meaning people know you're doing it out of choice, else you risk ending up getting bequeathed one when someone dies. I'd been carless for a few months when this happened to me, and under the circumstances it would have been very undiplomatic to decline.

It’s the same with y fronts. If you decide to go without, then let well meaning people know else…

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Always been carless but on the upside, most people i know have a car so on the odd occasion I need one, i just ring up whoever's most likely to pander to my needs :okay:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
We had one car for years. Now we have two. I hate the expense, and hate having two cars. The only reason we have two is practicality, usually taxing kids to this or that activity and my wife’s shift work. When the kids go, we will go down to one car. Few more years yet though for that.

Brooks

6 years carless for me now, was strange at first due to relying on something needlessly. I used to have sky tv for the football, trouble was I watched far to much TV to justify the outlay, I think car ownership is much like that. I no longer watch TV or have a car and I don't miss them at all.

Top Bottom