Carless??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone here part of a car share or car club system? How well does that work?

Anyone here hiring a car for unusual journeys? Any hire company less shoot than the others now?

I have a car, don't use it much but wouldn't fancy dealing with some of the car hire places every time I wanted one to do an oddly-timed crosscountry family-visiting tour (or take 2 to 5 times as long by bike and train).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm inclined to say given my circumstances owning a car would be a rather stonking waste of money. I've never owned one but do have a driving licence.
Same here.
I think though that it's much easier not running a car when you don't have kids or when you live fairly central.
"I don't have a TV" is right up there with "I am a Vegan".
The point being?
The point is, I think, Smokey is being sarky ^_^
But, really, one can watch anything on any device, you don't need a tv.
I haven't had one for many years... still not vegan :tongue:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It certainly is for me. A lot of money for something I don't need and could easily live without.

I think another year and a sufficiently decent period of time will have passed to allow me to sell it without jlsetting anyone in the family.
Do you mean selling just your own car or Mrs Drago's as well? Obviously, if it is just yours, you will still have access to another car anyway. :whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Still waiting for a reply
Hello :hello:

Drago

Legendary Member
The last time I watched Coronation Street Ena Sharples was on, is she still there ??
Yes, although shes turning distinctly green and smells quite a lot.
Do you mean selling just your own car or Mrs Drago's as well? Obviously, if it is just yours, you will still have access to another car anyway. :whistle:
Mrs D is pretty much wheelchair bound, walking stick on a very good day, so she has little choice if she wishes to retain mobility. Unless you count moving it about the driveway to clean it I have driven it the grand total of once, to take it for its service. Its a lovely car, but I don't enjoy driving and neither have the need or inclination to drive someone elses wheels. Even if I wanted to she takes it to work with her, so its not available for me to use.

As aforementioned, I was without my own car from August 2019 until February 2020 when fate intervened to have my stepmother pass away and leave her car to me. I could hardly tell my Dad to bugger off, so my own car now sits there and has only done 800 miles in 16 months, the bulk of those Mrs D using it just to keep it charged and the brakes clean.

Last edited:

Boopop

Guru
I think though that it's much easier not running a car when you don't have kids or when you live fairly central.

Actually part of my justification for buying the Bullitt was if I ever did have children I could use it to cart them around town too :smile:. The family cycling uk facebook group has loads of examples of this sort of thing. Of course if your kids end up regularly going to school or events that are miles and miles away without good public transport or cycle routes it becomes a bit trickier.

Also yes, cargo bikes aren't so effective rurally.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Of course if your kids end up regularly going to school or events that are miles and miles away without good public transport or cycle routes it becomes a bit trickier.

Also yes, cargo bikes aren't so effective rurally.
This is why we need a car. A 30 minute drive (including motorway) to orchestra, between 30 minutes and 1h 15 mins (ish) to CX races, 20 minutes (motorway) to coaching, etc., etc. Usually pressed for time too.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Im thinking of binning the tv licence for no other reason than baiting the Capita goons looks like good sport.

It is great sport. They've spent ten times more money sending me stupid investigation warning letters in red ink and wannabee traffic warden type muppets to knock on my door than the amount I would have paid in TV licences. It would be cheaper for them to just bung me a free licence and save all the manpower they've expended trying to threaten me into compliance - which hasn't worked as I just tell them to go away (or words to that effect)!

Brooks

It is great sport. They've spent ten times more money sending me stupid investigation warning letters in red ink and wannabee traffic warden type muppets to knock on my door than the amount I would have paid in TV licences. It would be cheaper for them to just bung me a free licence and save all the manpower they've expended trying to threaten me into compliance - which hasn't worked as I just tell them to go away (or words to that effect)!
You bloody vegans 😜

Top Bottom