Carlton Versus Holdsworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Sounds like a Catalina.
Correct !
It was black with metallic blue fading sections on the seat tube . Half chrome front forks with metallic blue tops, anodised blue brake levers with Weinmann side pull brakes. Blue Blumels plastic mudguards . Campagnolo rear derailleur.I think there was a transfer on the seat tube saying Capella lugs . I think I can remember a label on the rear saddle was Lycett.
It was a lovely bike to ride . It's a shame I lost it .

Gunk

Guru
Oh! By the way my wife says do you like her garden?

Lovely, you just need to run a strimmer around the bottom of that bird bath!

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I took my Holdsworth out earlier this year to give it a bit of a run .
It all started off well. It was nice and sunny, everything was feeling fine until I felt a sudden jolt from the saddle . I initially thought that the saddle had slipped downwards like it used to from time to time . I reached down to grab the front of the saddle to give it a yank and found that the tip of the saddle came away in my hand ! :ohmy: I heard a clunk as the tension bolt hit the floor !
I stopped my bike and retrieved the bits . My favourite saddle had broken! The leather had given way near the tip .
I continued my ride . I wasn't going to let that interrupt my ride . It felt a bit strange with the rest of the saddle sloping downwards but it wasn't uncomfortable .
I am in the process of removing the steel rivets which hold the leather to the frame . My intention is to try to do a repair by gluing a piece of leather underneath the two pieces with contact adhesive and bring them back together again .
How successful it will be I don't know but I thought that I would give it a try .

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Just to show the variation in models, my Holdsworth Tornado had super-slow steering with its original fork. I changed the fork for a heavier, less flexible one (I was getting terrible front brake rub on climbs) and it sorted out the handling too. Some Holdsworths have a very small offset because the steerer isn't brazed into the crown straight. Quality control was mixed.

Top Bottom