carpet cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know of a dry carpet cleaner which works. Seen a few advertised but would like some first hand experience. I used a hand nozzle off a rug cleaning machine but it has failed, failed i tell you.

It's actually for the back of my car which now smells of musky wet dog. I should've put a cover down but never did and two years of accumulated wet dog smell has now built up. People are refusing to get in my car now, even the dog is beginning to look all sniffy about it - Help!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Have you tried a steam cleaner?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Not even for hire? That's odd? I don't think the dry shampoo will get rid of dog smells

colly

Re member eR
Dry cleaners such as powder don't, for the most part, work very well.

If they do work you have the problem of some residue being left in the fabric.
The problem with that is, the powder clings to dirt/grease enabling you to vacuum it away, so when it's left in the fabric any dirt/grease will stick to IT.

Hire a decent wet extraction machine and put up with the seats taking a few days to dry.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

colly said:
Dry cleaners such as powder don't, for the most part, work very well.

If they do work you have the problem of some residue being left in the fabric.
The problem with that is, the powder clings to dirt/grease enabling you to vacuum it away, so when it's left in the fabric any dirt/grease will stick to IT.

Hire a decent wet extraction machine and put up with the seats taking a few days to dry.

Interesting. That's the kind of Info I was looking for. It's only the boot I need to do. I did get it a lot cleaner but the smell has not gone. A kind of swamp smell.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Fabreeze and swamp: No thanks. I'll stick with swamp.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is the car damp? Just giving it a good airing will reduce the smell as there'll be nothing left to evaporate into the air inside the car.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Globalti said:
Is the car damp? Just giving it a good airing will reduce the smell as there'll be nothing left to evaporate into the air inside the car.

I was wondering this. I was thinking about hiring a de-humidifier. It seems to have got worse over winter.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Crackle said:
No thanks. I'll stick with swamp.

I hate that swampy, dirty canal smell. :smile: Those things you put in with washing in a dryer are quite good when used for rubbing down a stinking pooch.

Morrisons hire out Rug Doctors round here, ooeerr. Don't know if it's a national thing.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

snapper_37 said:
I hate that swampy, dirty canal smell. :smile: Those things you put in with washing in a dryer are quite good when used for rubbing down a stinking pooch.

Morrisons hire out Rug Doctors round here, ooeerr. Don't know if it's a national thing.

It was the Morrisons one I used when I cleaned all the rugs but it hasn't been 100% succesfull, better but no cigar.

Top Bottom