Carpet wet through on driver's floor and rear passenger floor behind the driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Also check that drains between bonnet and windscreen are not blocked
Neighbours said they had wet carpets due to them being full with composting leaves

That's a classic area to cause problems. Had it myself, Cavalier iirc. The drain in there gets clogged, water fills and overflows into the cabin

Have you checked your bladder (or catheter seals)? :okay:

johnnyb47

Guru
@Accy cyclist.
Hi,I don't want to sound an alarmist or negative but thinking about it , that hole may of been drilled by the previous owner to let the water out because of an on going problem before you bought the car.Its also unusual to have rubber bungs underneath the car too, when you come to think about it.They usually have small holes in the floor pan when manufactured to allow the rust prevention to flow through the car shell when it gets dipped.There then plugged with a small circular plate of metal just like the one you can see in your photo (just behind the hole) These can often rot out with age.
I'm suspecting this hole you've spotted is supposed to be there though, to let water/moisture out of a box section.Looking on the dark side it's either been drilled to let moisture out of the footwell from an ongoing problem as there does seem to show some moisture around the hole.
I think your first thing to do tomorrow is to see if it's a normal drain hole or if you feel some sound deadening material/carpet behind it.

CXRAndy

Guru
Door seals are common to let water seep in. I had an Astra that after one particular heavy downpour flooded the drivers footwell. Rear boot areas can be the same or light clusters not sealing. Window seals can fail and let water inside.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Have you checked your bladder (or catheter seals)? :okay:

Have you wet yourself?
Beat me to it. :becool:

Wellies Accy. Wellies.

Or - lift and remove the carpet etc to dry it whilst bunging up the hole.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Lots of condensation appearing in the lovely Polo i bought for my son to learn to drive in. Hoping its just humidity introduced on shoes/coats, but thanks to this thread have a good list of other things to check!

Biker BoB

Lots of condensation appearing in the lovely Polo i bought for my son to learn to drive in. Hoping its just humidity introduced on shoes/coats, but thanks to this thread have a good list of other things to check!
On the polo open the windows fully.
Place a bit of 2x4 timber in the door so it cannot close, put it by the door catch .
Then push the top of the doors in gently to bend the tops in a bit.
That way the door seals at the top again and it will most likely be much quieter to drive too.

Top Bottom