Carpet wet through on driver's floor and rear passenger floor behind the driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
My car has them under the scuttle panel.In there wisdom they decided to put the ECU in there to and if the drains get blocked the whole chamber under the scuttle panel fills up with water completely submerging the ECU and destroying it.Every time I check the oil/water I always give the drain holes a rodding out with a piece of welding wire just to be on the safe side.The drain holes are not just holes drilled out at the bottom either.They have rubber tubing on the other side to divert the water away.Its usually to tubes that get blocked.A great piece of engineering (not)🤣

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The carpet's very wet after all this rain we've had. Today I think I got closer to finding the way the water is getting in. I pressed my walking stick firmly onto the carpet bit that slopes behind the brake pedal and water appeared. Now I tried doing that before and it seemed to be dry, but not today. I'm now thinking water is getting in around where the wiper is mounted. Lining it up, it's directly above where the wet carpet behind the brake pedal is. Again, I've checked the roll back roof, the doors and there's no sign of water, even slight moisture, so it's got to be getting in around where the wipers, or that wiper in the photo is! If it is getting in through there, what'll have happened to cause this problem I wonder? 🤔

nc_ohc=BVf76Th6PR8AX9NqeDq&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=oiPwGHz7PZ4AX_BXFZ_&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=JgxVsYQZEBkAX8m1XXe&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Scuttle drains. Blocked. Fills the scuttle area with water. Water overflows into cabin through a vent hole. Final answer again. Clean vents. Keep clear. Solve problem.

I'll have a look tomorrow in the daylight. I think it will be something simple, but let's not build our hopes up just yet! :rolleyes: I know some think it was daft of the mechanic to drill a little hole in the floor around the foot pedals, but if he hadn't there'd be about a gallon of water on the floor now, due to all this rain we've had!:rain:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No, hardly ever! I avoid parking under trees to avoid troublesome tree sap, potential falling branches, bird muck and.....leaves that could break down and block the er 'scuttle area'! :okay: Is this scuttle area easy to access though?🤔

Two options - take off the black plastic scuttle panel and it's all there in front of you, incl. the little 'sumps' that collect the water and carp and get blocked. Easy to clean. Second, easier option I favour is to furtle underneath that area and locate the little rubber things which allow water to escape from the bottom of the sumps. Essentially you are feeling over the top of the engine through that narrow gap. I do this latter method every few months - it's very tight, but do-able.
Instructions on Fiat Forum/t'interweb - maybe for Panda but principle is the same.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Never park under trees for three reasons, leaf debris blocks drains, tree sap and bird crap

Yes, I've applied for a blue badge, disabled parking bay directly outside my flat, but I'm now having second thoughts. My flat is surrounded by 3 big trees, one of which is very big! The very big tree overhangs where I've asked the council to put the bay. For starters I wouldn't be able to park up and leave my roof open, due to tree sap, bird muck and the fear of falling branches. Some of the branches that fall off these 3 trees are about 5 foot long and thick too. The bird muck dollops that the wood pigeons pump out in spring and summer are huge! One visitor to my flat thought one dollop was dog muck, such was its size. All that stuff dropping on my car, even if the roof is closed would be a big problem! :unsure:

Top Bottom