Carpet wet through on driver's floor and rear passenger floor behind the driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
nc_ohc=ADD50I_Sep0AX9s5UgA&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=rAk2WOpVu8AAX_vFTdL&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=xoRRii3CJwsAX-UYYkK&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

I think water might be getting in through this hole. I took this pic' this aft with a mirror on the floor, hence the not great quality, but you can still see that hole. The hole is behind the driver's seat. I thought just that area was wet, but having just lifted the driver area floor mat up I've seen it's soaking where the foot pedals are. Only the right side of my car is affected. The left side is dry as a bone. At first I thought it was that what looks like a man made hole that was the problem, but if it is, is it possible for water to travel from the rear passenger area to the driver's area? 🤔

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Hard to see where it is, but could be a drain hole that's supposed to have a plug in it

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm just thinking that if I take it to my local backstreet garage bloke he might 'big it up' and charge me a fair bit for hopefully a simple job.

I'm thinking that water has got in at the back and traveled to the front of the car when I've driven downhill, but there's what looks like a 6 inch ridge under the driver's seat. Wouldn't that stop water travelling from the back to the front? 🤔

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
Have you got a sun roof on your car?
Does it have a plenum chamber on the bulkhead.There could be alot of place's where it could be leaking from, but with most things try the easiest suspected fixes first

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have you got a sun roof on your car?
Does it have a plenum chamber on the bulkhead.There could be alot of place's where it could be leaking from, but with most things try the easiest suspected fixes first

I have a soft top, electric roll back roof (Fiat 500 Cabriolet), but I've checked around that roof when closed and there's no water droplets etc. All the seats are dry and so are the inside of the doors. It's just the carpet that's wet.

Had something like that in my Fiesta - in about 1978!!!

turned out that there were some old screw holes in the front where the previous person had had a console attached
the water crept in through them and moved all over the carpet due to acceleration and deceleration
(even in an old T reg Fiesta!!!)

the sound deadening soaks it up holds it allowing it to move all over

took ages to dry it all out!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Had something like that in my Fiesta - in about 1978!!!

turned out that there were some old screw holes in the front where the previous person had had a console attached
the water crept in through them and moved all over the carpet due to acceleration and deceleration
(even in an old T reg Fiesta!!!)

the sound deadening soaks it up holds it allowing it to move all over

took ages to dry it all out!

I bet there's a good few pints of water on my carpet now. I think If/when the leak is fixed I'll need one of those carpet cleaners to suck the water up.

johnnyb47

Guru
Have you googled your car to see if there are any known faults with water ingress.
Water leaks can be notorious to find in a car.
Personally I would do the obvious and easiest and bung that hole up. Put your finger in it first though to make sure it's not just a drain hole for a box section of chassis.It you can feel the carpet or the sound deadening material through it ,it really should be plugged..
Watching an episode of Wheeler dealers the other day and they had an elusive water leak.They used a smoke bomb inside the car and closed all the doors and windows and looked around the outside for any escaping smoke..I suppose you could also use a couple of those Aircon bombs to do the same thing

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe i'm getting soft in my old age! I remember the 1970's/80's British Leyland rust buckets with their seemingly constant wet floors. I had a British Leyland Mini that never dried out. In winter the wet carpet would freeze and to drive the car I had to wear an old pair of my golf playing uncle's spiked golf shoes to stop my feet slipping on the icy, frozen carpets! :rolleyes:

Believe me, that car had more rust, fibreglass and body filler than actual body or original floor!!:laugh:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Problem is water travels. I'd get on a Fiat 500 forum and check the known issues for a cabrio. Eg. I checked all the known leak points for the Aygo we bought two years ago - reat lights, boot bump stop, rear lights, rear tailgate seal, rear high level stop light. All of them leaked and needed sealing up. Car dry as a bone now.

johnnyb47

Guru
My old Ford Capri drivers foot well was for ever filling up with water.I spend ages trying to trace it with no joy.It got that bad I ended up drilling a small hole in the floor pan to let the water out whilst I was on a mission to get to the bottom of the leak.After a few weeks I eventually tracked it down to the door seal.Over time it had become flattened..The bodger I am I sliced it open and filled the hollow insides with silicone puffing it back out again.It never leaked again 🤣👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom