Driving through Red X warnings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

A dashcam video of mine from yesterday morning on the M6 near Coventry.
Do people really not understand what the gantry lights mean!? A mile or so of amber 'change lane' warnings, then 2 lanes closed due to an accident.
There were three caught just as I was driving past in lane 3 (these two + another a bit behind me.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Too many blindly continue steadily in lane 2/3, ignoring everything around them until they get to the junction they want. They'll get an offer of a 'modern motorway ' driving course, costing them £100. That's unless they've already had one.

SWMBO had the same thing.

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's the same thing as last minute lane changers on non motorway roads who change lane when the cones start rather than at the advance warning signs, then bully their way into the other lane hoping to get ahead. It doesn't really matter what they know or don't know, or whether they even care as long as you know, and anticipate their twattish behaviour. No point spoiling your day getting angry about it.

Lord knows, as a cyclist you end up having to think for other road users often enough, and as a motorcyclist, even more.

Dadam

It's the same thing as last minute lane changers on non motorway roads who change lane when the cones start rather than at the advance warning signs, then bully their way into the other lane hoping to get ahead. It doesn't really matter what they know or don't know, or whether they even care as long as you know, and anticipate their twattish behaviour. No point spoiling your day getting angry about it.

Lord knows, as a cyclist you end up having to think for other road users often enough, and as a motorcyclist, even more.

Nope, they're doing the right thing. The lane closure is the correct merge point, the warning signs are just that, giving you advance warning. The correct procedure is to use all the available road space then merge in turn. What happens is people try to lay claim to "their" road space early, then get territorial about it as they perceive (incorrectly) those using the other lane as queue jumping. That's the twattish behavior.

Highway code rule 134
“You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed.
"In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily.
"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.”

So if traffic is free flowing, moving early is best but if there's a queue it's best to merge at the closure point.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Am I missing something here? Whilst they're in a closed lane, they appear to be travelling at about 40mph, whilst you appear to be in an open lane labelled 40mph and travelling at 49mph. Is that not also a bit of a problem?

The previous signs were 50mph and these ones had only just dropped to 40 as I was approaching them and the following sign was National Limit.

Drago

Legendary Member
Highway code rule 134
“You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed.
"In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily.
"Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.”

Note the wording.

That is all convention, not a requirement.

A red X means the lane is closed and should not be driven upon, regardless of any previous or later instruction to merge.

X = Lane closed, do not drive upon it past that point, period (as the muricans say.)

The previous signs were 50mph and these ones had only just dropped to 40 as I was approaching them and the following sign was National Limit.

I'm not entirely sure that that's how speed limits work! You passed a 40mph sign and you were then were in a 40mph limit up until you passed a subsequent one, and you carried on at 50mph. The fact that you could see the upcoming national speed limit sign doesn't mean you can drive at that limit. On that basis, plenty of small villages could be traversed at 60mph, since the exiting national speed limit sign would be visible at the entrance 30mph sign.

EDIT: Yes, there is a grace period (AIUI too), but that's hardly the spirit of it, is it.

Top Bottom