Carradice bags - are they a faff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm thinking of getting a saddlebag so I can take a few bits when I go for a ride (camera, sandwiches, lock, waterproofs, tools - that kind of thing) without having to have a pannier on.I have a tiny wedge pack but that really only has room for my keys and a few tools.

My dad had a Carradice saddlebag when I was a kid which I borrowed on occasion and all I remember was it never looked like it was attached properly - I believe the effect is known as the Carraddce Droop - and ironically, that it was very stiff. I also remember that the leather straps had become a little frayed at the ends, and so it was a right pain to get the straps through the buckles. This would make using it to carry a camera annoying because it would make taking the camera out time consuming and irritating!

Was this an issue with my dad's bag, or do they all do that, sir? Also, any other recommendations for a bag that you would recommend for the role much appreciated. I don't really want something that needs a rack - I have those on two bikes and don't want one on this bike.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Carridice are brilliant panniers. Last forever, carry tons of stuff, waterproof and priced sensibly and made in UK.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I haven't used a Carradice (I do like them, just not found a need for one yet)... the road I went down for "to hand" bits was to use an Ortlieb bar bag for things like camera, phones, keys, snacks, and a waterproof. They pop open with a flip of the hand (they close with magnets), and they're literally right in front of you, so they're perfect for things you need access to in seconds.

I do love the tradition of Carradice bags. Previously I wondered if they were a bit dear for what they were... until I noted that in the latest CTC (sorry, Cycling UK) magazine that they did a test of saddle bags... and the Carridice was the cheapest one! Some rob dog has marketed something similar but a bit modernised, and they want 250 notes.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
They are good but you may need to buy a support bracket for it otherwise some of them will rub on the back wheel.They are waterproof and last years. I'm thinking of selling mine, I have a red Barley and a black lowsaddle longflap.

snorri

Legendary Member
I found a bar bag convenient for the odds and ends I was likely to require on the road whilst touring. It was easy to get at the contents without even stopping, but if I did stop I could readily access the bag whilst holding the bike upright between my legs rather than twisting my spine through 180 degrees to open a saddle bag.
Edit..... CT has beaten me, I must learn to type faster.

roley poley

Über Member
I have used a junior for over 15 years it's gained character over time, sun bleached, a little frayed at the edges and still going well..not a fan of zipped bags as they have let me down in the past

SGG on a bike

I have a Carradice which I use on a bag mount/rack as I swap it between bikes. The mount helps to keep it more upright and allows for very quick removal. No issues at all with it. Holds loads, as waterproof as anything else out there and just does the job.

snorri

Legendary Member
used a junior for over 15 years it's gained character over time, sun bleached, a little frayed at the edges and still going
I am by no means a style setter but even I began to feel slightly ashamed whilst touring with the old style black (faded) Carradice panniers on mainland Europe and received two separate comments to the effect that it's nice when people can still tour even with ancient equipment.^_^

roley poley

Über Member
I am by no means a style setter but even I began to feel slightly ashamed whilst touring with the old style black (faded) Carradice panniers on mainland Europe and received two separate comments to the effect that it's nice when people can still tour even with ancient equipment.^_^
I like to call it street cred and am not afraid to wipe my oily hands on its material to increase the illusion;)

Top Bottom