Carradice bags - are they a faff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I prefer a bar bag for camera etc, stuff you need to access quickly.
When i was living in London 1968-1971 I had one of the larger saddle bag units for Youth Hostelling.
One recollection is that with the weight high up compared to panniers if you let the bike tilt when parking etc it was quite hard to pull upright again.

Mike
I like the idea of a bar bag but not the attachment brackets, but it occurs to me that there would seem to be no reason you couldn't fit an SQR type thing to the headtube if there is room?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Get an SQR Tour (I think there are two sizes). I have the larger and it's great, side pockets and a good size. I bought an extra fitting block so I can easily move it from bike to bike. Being easily detachable means it's no faff when stopping mid ride at cafes aswell.
They do seem good value as they come with the SQR kit included.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a pair of Carridice Super C panniers, and a pair of smaller front paniers. The large Super C's are still going strong 25 years after I bought them, and I have re-proofed them a couple of times. Still many years life left in them.
Their products are the bee knees and will give many many years of service.

contadino

Veteran
I have 2 carradice bags but only use them when touring. For day rides I have a bar bag with a klik-fit bracket. I prefer the weight on the front and find it's easier to get to my batenberg.

The carradice bags are a faff. The carradice supports aren't fit for purpose. I use a nitto mini rack for support that I remove when not touring. I think I have a bailey and a camper longflap. That setup works well for me.

tyred

Legendary Member
I love mine and rarely stray very far without one. Very handy for carrying your spare jacket, tools, sandwiches and flask.

Useful too for stopping for a litre of milk or whatever when you are out and sometimes rescuing things found in the hedge!

byegad

Legendary Member
My dad has apparently got rid of his Nelson Longflap (or it might have been a camper - it was massive, anyway) because it went mouldy in the garage! Can you believe it! I asked him if he still had it so I could 'borrow' it :-)
Yes my Nelson LF did thousands of miles on my commuter bike and now resides behind the seat on my Hase Kettwiesel recumbent trike. I find it carries emergency tools, waterproof and a sweater with room for a bit of shopping too.

GetFatty

Über Member
I use one when (if) I commute. Waterproof, fits the days clothes in it along with a laptop. Great bit of kit when paired with the QR frame

gom

Über Member
I use an SQR Tour (older model I think) on my mountain bike. Easy to get off when starting by car. I too found the saddlebag droop to be somewhat inelegant. And I didn't have a quick release one anyway.
For a day ride I find I can take spare tubes, tyre levers, allen keys, waterproof, extra layer (stuffed in as the day warms up), sun block, and all the food I'm going to want during maybe eight hours out (assuming no cafe stops). So bigger than needed if taking no food.
03_01-Sep_1054.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The saddlebags are a faff. The buckles are fiddly (get the Super C version to avoid this) and they chafe your legs on most frames unless you spend nearly as much again on a heavy, ugly Bagman support.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
The old ones are rubbish. Leak like sieves. Straps all about to fail and baggier than a baggy thing.
Go modern.
The Carradice lightweight Audax might fit the bill Lighter and seems more robust to me.
The saddlebags are a faff. The buckles are fiddly (get the Super C version to avoid this) and they chafe your legs on most frames unless you spend nearly as much again on a heavy, ugly Bagman support.
😱 Heretics . I will have no sympathy when some bearded CTC types run you down with there Dawes Galaxys. Well when they’re finished there tea and cake.

Top Bottom