Carradice bags - are they a faff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have three. A zipped roll sits on the sons bike, enough room for tools and a cable lock. A barley is on my audax bike and has been brilliant while cafes have been shut. A cadet is a great work bag as it doesnt have pockets and looks ok with a shoulder trap. I also used it with a bar bag on a three day B and B trip. The cadet is on the quick release and rests on the rack.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I have a bike with a rack and some panniers for more serious loads, this is to be a bag for the "I''m off out for a ride" bike. I think the SQR system looks best for me given the lack of loops on my saddle, and so now it's a question of which size bag - do I want room for a stove and coffee-making stuff as well as the camera, waterproofs etc just because sitting in the countryside having a a brew is nice, or do I want the smallest one I can get away for 90% of the time for neatness?

Or do I just accept that I'm going to end up with more than one at some point? :-)
Sounds like a Nelson Longflap to me, though I ended up with several (Pendle, Nelson LF, Camper LF)

For attachments, SQR fits best for one saddlebag and several bikes, but the Bagman QR works best for several saddlebags and one bike.
If you've got a rack fitted, and it's a suitable distance below the saddle, you can get just the clamp part of the Bagman, and let the saddlebag rest on top of the rack

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
😱 Heretics . I will have no sympathy when some bearded CTC types run you down with there Dawes Galaxys. Well when they’re finished there tea and cake.
I’ve been having nightmares that I’m being bludgeoned with a Zefal frame pump and being forced to cycle into a wind wearing a yellow rubber cape and Tudor wool plus fours. Sometimes I should think before I type. They will come for me. I know they will.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I currently have a Carradura Super Midi Saddlepack and an SQR Slim in a basket. I think the ‘Super Midi’ will take the camera and a few bits (and it’s only £15) and the SQR Slim will take a lot more - it can take my laptop according to the measurements so it will be a useful bag for commuting once I feel comfortable with the train part of the journey again (currently just driving the whole way when I do have to go on, but in normal times I used to cycle-train-cycle)

Still not sure though - the traditional bags are lovely ...

All uphill

Still rolling along
I thought 'going mouldy' was a part of the natural ageing process of a Carradice, hasn't hurt mine. :rolleyes:
A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Super C panniers at a bike jumble in Bristol for £10. I was ashamed to take them home on the train, they were so mouldy inside and out.

Lots of soapy water, scrubbing and retching later and they have carried much of our shopping home as well as coping with a couple of tours. They are brilliant.

SGG on a bike

Mine‘s a Nelson Longflap. One very useful addition I’ve made to it is to add a paracord carry handle Which is dead handy for when the bag is detached.
87137B2B-D9E1-42FD-8CB9-1714D0942B51.jpeg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Carradice a brill and retro!
I have a Zipped-Roll in Red for everyday.
Barley for Audaxy/long days out and FNRttC
Camper Longflap for lightweight camping (Circa 1984)
Forgot to mention - the Bagman QSR supports them all and if I want to remove the support, it's just one allen-bolt, so that's quick too.
All-in-all, the combo works well for me.

simongt

Guru
And the great thing about Carradice, they'll repair / refurbish any of their products, particularily the classics. :thumbsup:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thanks all for your replies - apologies; I read them and then never replied.

I have a bike with a rack and some panniers for more serious loads, this is to be a bag for the "I''m off out for a ride" bike. I think the SQR system looks best for me given the lack of loops on my saddle, and so now it's a question of which size bag - do I want room for a stove and coffee-making stuff as well as the camera, waterproofs etc just because sitting in the countryside having a a brew is nice, or do I want the smallest one I can get away for 90% of the time for neatness?

Or do I just accept that I'm going to end up with more than one at some point? :-)

I've had my Carradice Pendle for a measly 6 years. A newborn by Carradice standards.
In that time, it's survived rainstorms, snow blizzards, a dunk in a river, numerous crashes, my fiancees cats, my dog and even being licked by actual real cows. And a horse! I've drilled holes in the bottom to fit a stiffener bar which I later removed and is still waterproof.
I went for the Pendle as it's an in-between size of the Barley and Nelson which seem more popular.
Here's the thing, prior to the Pendle, I like you used the panniers which as you know are just too big for most things. I also have a Carradice Maxi saddle pack and a smaller Topeak saddle pack. Every time I've used those packs I've regretted it. They leak and the space they offer is crap. We live (most of us) in a spot on the earth which is prone to sudden weather changes and for that reason, I keep a raincoat, spare tights, gloves, hat, and face covering in the bag at all times. I've lost count of the number of times I've dug that stuff out on what started as a pleasant day out. It works the other way round too. Getting warm on your ride? No probs, take a layer off and put it in your Carradice instead of tying it round your waist because that stupid little rubix cube sized saddle purse won't accommodate it due to being filled by 2 c02 canisters. :okay:
My Pendle stays on regardless of how long a ride I'm doing whether it's a trip to the local park with the mutt or a tour. That extra space gives you room to surround your camera with spare clothing.
The straps. Yes they are a faff. They'll start off being stiff when new but will soften up over time. But, unlike a zip, they're unlikely to fail or shatter like some of the nylon clasps.
A proper cotton duck Carradice saddlebag is a one time purchase. Plenty of reports out there of bags being older than their owners and still in good nick.

Brooks

I have the Carradice Barley saddle bag and I can't fault it in any way. Like others I always carry a raincoat, in fact on a day ride it accommodates flask, sandwiches tools etc.
I made my own quick release with two D rings attached to the bag then zip tied a double ended dog lead clip to the saddle loops and that's a perfect solution for me. I couldn't recommend these bags enough.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks all. I think I had pretty much every type of bag in a basket at one point - I wanted a bag that was as small as possible but also I only wanted one bag. In the end I reasoned that

a) when on a family ride, I get to carry everyone's spare clothing / lunch etc.
b) when I go for a ride on my own I often get a text asking me to pick up x, y and often z 'while you're out'
c) I might start train commuting again at some point so something that could take a laptop would be good.

I also wanted something that would remove with nothing left behind, but the only rack that does that is 'Classic' rack, which needs saddle loops (which I don't have on any saddle) and looks like it wouldn't work even with bolt-on loops on a sprung saddle (as per the commuting folder) - so long story truncated, I ordered an SQR Slim. It leaves just the SQR block behind, is easy to swap from bike to bike and should hold all the gubbins needed for a family day out / me out for a ride but coming home with cat food and a loaf / commuitng.

I'm not entirely enamoured with the plastic clips to close it - I've cracked similar before, and they are certainly not as durable as the leather buckles, but they're much easier to use and I guess it will be a fairly simple job to replace them if / when that happens.

If I find it's forever 90% empty I fancy a zipped roll, which I could use as a bar bag or a saddlebag.

Thanks again for all your input.

Top Bottom