Carradice Barley saddle bag - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
lol - I'll have a look later, think it was Doreen or Dorothy or something :smile:

I like the fact you can send it directly to them for repair if ever needed.

I just thought, I need some straps for tying my jacket to the D loops on the top - any ideas?
The straps (? toestraps ?) that are used on toeclips.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I just thought, I need some straps for tying my jacket to the D loops on the top - any ideas?

Of course you will want them to match your bag..... Spa Cycles, or where I got mine from Dot Bikes.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

I ordered a bracket and saddle clamp this morning, not happy with the bag rubbing the brakes.

I've had a look, got a couple of brown ones from Carradice for £6 each, I had a look at toe straps but looked a bit expensive.

Thanks guys

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I hate to say it, but toestraps are better, ime...

define 'better' in this context.;)

fwiw I've punched extra holes in my Carradice straps (for use with a tool roll) I find I can undo a buckled strap as quick as you like, and as fast as any new fangled fastening - but I've not tried toestraps - but doing buckled straps up again, when wet, or cold or tired, or sweaty can be a little cycle of repeated failure....:sad:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Right. Still thinking of buying one, or a nelson.

Does SQR work for any of their range or just the ones entitled SQR? I want a bag about the size of the nelson but I don't think I have any of those hoopy things on my race saddle. There seems to be some kind of third rail system carradice bags use, how does this work?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Right. Still thinking of buying one, or a nelson.

Does SQR work for any of their range or just the ones entitled SQR? I want a bag about the size of the nelson but I don't think I have any of those hoopy things on my race saddle. There seems to be some kind of third rail system carradice bags use, how does this work?
if you mean bagman quick release, works brilliantly. the hoopy frame can be removed if you want minimal look.

the nelson is the better option, more room for hardly any extra weight.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Fitting for saddlebags:
There are 3 options:
a) the saddlebag clamp, a direct replacement for saddlebag loops, clamping to the saddle rails as far back as you can manage.
b) The Bagman QR. Clamps onto the same section of the saddle rails as the seatpost. You need about 15mm of free rail behind the seatpost (test: can you move the saddle that much further forwards than it currently is). The support stops the saddlebag swinging, sagging onto a mudguard, or hitting the backs of your legs. Available without support from Carradice if you just want to let the saddlebag sit on a rack.
c) The SQR Uplift. This clamps to the seatpost below the saddle, and you strap the saddlebag to it in place of the saddle loops and seatpost. You remove the saddlebag and SQR uplift as a single unit so you don't need to fiddle with buckles. It needs about 4" of free seatpost. If you have it as high as possible, the saddlebag loops will be just above and behind the back of your saddle. You need about 3" of free air below the saddlebag to allow the Uplift to be removed.
The SQR bags (SQR Tour etc) come with an SQR mount permanently fitted to them rather than using the uplift.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Fitting for saddlebags:
There are 3 options:
a) the saddlebag clamp, a direct replacement for saddlebag loops, clamping to the saddle rails as far back as you can manage.
b) The Bagman QR. Clamps onto the same section of the saddle rails as the seatpost. You need about 15mm of free rail behind the seatpost (test: can you move the saddle that much further forwards than it currently is). The support stops the saddlebag swinging, sagging onto a mudguard, or hitting the backs of your legs. Available without support from Carradice if you just want to let the saddlebag sit on a rack.
c) The SQR Uplift. This clamps to the seatpost below the saddle, and you strap the saddlebag to it in place of the saddle loops and seatpost. You remove the saddlebag and SQR uplift as a single unit so you don't need to fiddle with buckles. It needs about 4" of free seatpost. If you have it as high as possible, the saddlebag loops will be just above and behind the back of your saddle. You need about 3" of free air below the saddlebag to allow the Uplift to be removed.
The SQR bags (SQR Tour etc) come with an SQR mount permanently fitted to them rather than using the uplift.

perfect explanation. there are pictures of all the fixings in use in the flickr group 'the carradice group'. just do a search for groups on flickr it'll come up at the top.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

I got the Barley. It is a little tight on space if you want to pack extra bottles or a packed lunch for a day out - but then i do probably carry too much anyway.

I've attached two images, one with and one without the bagman sport bracket, I also fitted a saddle loop bracket which was a bit fiddly. It did initially fit ok by just pulling the straps around the saddle rails and tying back to the post, but it hangs at an angle under the seat which can rub your legs, looks a bit tidier with the support I think.

Bagmansport: http://www.wiggle.co...ort/5360042590/

car-support-sport-med.jpg

The saddle loop clamp: http://www.sjscycles...t.asp?pf_id=644

carradicesaddlebagclampbig_l.jpg

Watch those square washers though! They come sharp if you catch your fingers on the corner of them under the saddle.

In hindsight, I think the extra £10 or so would have been worth it for the QR version.

Attachments

• bag1.jpg
    bag1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 462
  • bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 461

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks very much and informative, so I can use any bag with any of those 3 options? :cheers:

I didn't like the look of the ones advertised as SQR they were a bit big, I think I'd still go for a Nelson or one up from that.

crumpetman

Fitting for saddlebags:
There are 3 options:

I am still a bit confused as to how the bagman quick release works. I like the look of the nelson but want to be able to attach and detach it from the bike easily. With the quick release is it just a case of putting the bag on the bagman and doing up a strap?

On most of the saddle bags I cannot see a handle so how do you carry it around?

The SQR uplift might be the answer but it as it does not support under bag do you think it would cause problems with a fully loaded nelson?

I really do want to make the change from panniers to a saddle bag but don't want to lose out on the practicality and ease of use. I know the Carradice stuff is well made and lasts forever but I want to make sure it'll work the way I want before spending close to £100!

Sorry for asking questions that have probably been asked and answered before, I did do a search but I have not found a suitable reply.

Top Bottom