Carradice Barley saddle bag - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

For my Galaxy bike.

I need something that I can fit all the usual clobber in for a day out, such as:

Puncture repair kit/tools tube etc
jacket/waterproofs
spare bottle of water and food
map and phone wallet etc

I could fit another bottle holder, and maybe a frame bag for the phone and wallet to save some space.

However, I thought maybe instead of going for rear racks and full pannier kit, I may be better getting a large saddle bag, such as the Carradice Barley.

Is the Barley any good and are they roomey enough for the stuff I've listed or is it just too small?
Secondly, do these just attach to the seatpost, are they quite secure?

Also, I managed to score some front pannier racks for free off Freegle, they are the seperate small square types rather than the type with the top flat part. Do these only really get used when there are bags on the back also or do people use these on there own, would it look a bit odd or affect the handling only having front racks and bags?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
rh100 said:
However, I thought maybe instead of going for rear racks and full pannier kit, I may be better getting a large saddle bag, such as the Carradice Barley.
The barley is actually fairly small - Peter White's website has good pictures of Carradice's range http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp - look closely at the dimensions.
Is the Barley any good and are they roomey enough for the stuff I've listed or is it just too small?
Carradice stuff is really nice - built to last and pretty practical. The traditional bags do work best with a saddle that has bag loops though. For the stuff you've listed, the Barley would probably be fine (you could always strap stuff through the d-rings on top if you ran out of room inside).
Secondly, do these just attach to the seatpost, are they quite secure?
For the traditional saddlebags, the fitting is via two straps at the top, and a single one around the seatpost. They work best on saddles with saddlebag loops (like the Brooks B17, for example), although there are other ways to fit them.
Also, I managed to score some front pannier racks for free off Freegle, they are the seperate small square types rather than the type with the top flat part. Do these only really get used when there are bags on the back also or do people use these on there own, would it look a bit odd or affect the handling only having front racks and bags?
A lot depends on rider and bike. Some bikes ride well rear loaded, some ride well front loaded, on some it's equally good or bad. Front panniers are generally designated as such, or called "universal", i.e. they can fit front or back.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks JTM, yes it is small compared to their others, but seems a good size compared to the tiny things my search was bringing up :smile: I think I could get my mini track pump in there aswell.

I don't have loops on the saddle and I don't really want to buy extra attachments, as the price of that aswell I might aswell just get a rack and panniers. I've done a web search and some ideas are attaching to the rails with tie wraps and wooden dowling, could figure something out I'm sure.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
rh100 said:
I don't have loops on the saddle and I don't really want to buy extra attachments, as the price of that aswell I might aswell just get a rack and panniers. I've done a web search and some ideas are attaching to the rails with tie wraps and wooden dowling, could figure something out I'm sure.
You can certainly hack something to substitute for the loops.

Another option might be a racktop pack, if you already have a rear rack on the bike.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

John the Monkey said:
You can certainly hack something to substitute for the loops.

Another option might be a racktop pack, if you already have a rear rack on the bike.

No there is nothing on it yet, not even mudguards :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Carradice SQR. Much lighter than a rack but considerably uglier. Though you can't see it once you and your bag are on the bike.

Barley is a good little day ride bag. Nelson is better if you need to carry a change of clothes or bulkier stuff like 'proper' waterproofs. The Zip Roll is my bag de jour.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
carradice quick release bagman. if you don't like the frame bit just remove it for the minimal look. really nice piece of kit and only £20

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

The Barley it is then. I will give the bracket a miss for now, see how I get on.

Just need to get the Mrs to authorise expenditure now :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
32457_542920014640_285901520_2715562_5917487_n.jpg

Thats my barely on my bike.
What can i fit in it?
pump
2x inner tubes
small tool kit
socks
pants
shirt
water bottle
glases case
wallet
phone
keys
money
watch
and the occasional packet of crisps.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

threebikesmcginty said:
Just order it and get it delivered to work ;)

I like your thinking :biggrin:

gaz said:
32457_542920014640_285901520_2715562_5917487_n.jpg

Thats my barely on my bike.
What can i fit in it?
pump
2x inner tubes
small tool kit
socks
pants
shirt
water bottle
glases case
wallet
phone
keys
money
watch
and the occasional packet of crisps.

Thanks Gaz, that is very usefull info. But now i can't decide between the green one (my original choice) or the black and white one, looks really nice.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Got one - and very happy with it too.

Went for the green and brown one - managed to get it from an LBS in Coventry for just over £40.

I managed to hang it off the saddle rails and tie it back to the seat post, nice and secure but it's just rubbing the top of the vee brake, so will probably need to get a bracket, trouble is I don't have much seatpost showing so I think that rules out the SQR rack.

I managed to get into it: mini track pump, tube, several tools, chunky cable lock, bottle of gatorade, bag of crisps, os map, camera, phone, wallet. Could maybe get more in by taking the tube out of the box and getting a smaller PRK box, but was quite impressed with the space really, just enough for a day out.

I was also very impressed by the quality, seems a very sturdy bag, the guy in the shop reckons they last forever. Couldn't really feel the weight on the bike either.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The most important question about your new bag is.....

....which of the lovely Carradice ladies made it for you?

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

The most important question about your new bag is.....

....which of the lovely Carradice ladies made it for you?

lol - I'll have a look later, think it was Doreen or Dorothy or something :smile:

I like the fact you can send it directly to them for repair if ever needed.

I just thought, I need some straps for tying my jacket to the D loops on the top - any ideas?

Top Bottom