Carradice Camper - what am I doing wrong?

What to do?

• Mount the bag better (please explain)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Carry less stuff

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Lose lard from behind

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Get a native guide to carry the stuff (expensive)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
So, in answer to the original question, not using a period bike?
Ooeerr...:sad:
One is so sorry one spoke.
Slaps hand for trying to be helpful. Oh hang on! Op did not read first sentance of my unhelpful post.:headshake:

RedRider

Pulling through
I've not used anything as large as the Camper - however, I mount my bags to saddle loops and seatpost, but use a short length of PVC pipe as a standoff on the seat tube strap. The pipe is wrapped with old inner tube so that it doesn't damage post or bag.
The post strap goes through the inside of the pipe.

http://johnthemonkey.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/a-carradice-bodge/
I will have a go at this myself, thanks. (I have a longflap and a Super C Barley.)
@John the Monkey Off topic but I just got diverted by your excellent blog. Love Ug Cyclist and his pre-historic, Rapha-esque to-my-eyes stance!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They did recognise the problem and fitted a drawstring attachment inside the bags. Cheaper than a radical [what is needed] redesign. The older bags, which hung more to the vertical, had a cord to draw two flaps together, more for keeping weather out than things in.
Despite the limitations, I've yet to find anything else that works as well (for me) for commuting & day rides, although admittedly, I've only used "drawstring era" Carradices. I've always packed with stuff inside cases or bags (my tools live in a tool pouch anyway, so I don't worry about them in the side pockets, for example). The ingenuity of the simple fixes for the challenges presented by using the bags on modern bikes has something of an appeal as well, for me.

I will have a go at this myself, thanks. (I have a longflap and a Super C Barley.)
@John the Monkey Off topic but I just got diverted by your excellent blog. Love Ug Cyclist and his pre-historic, Rapha-esque to-my-eyes stance!

Very kind of you to say so, thank you. I operate on a relaxed update schedule, so it is easy to keep up to date with it. ;)

Bah!

I've just broken my Bagman 1 Sport, although it was carrying less than 10kg (recomended limit) I was offroad at the time and I think the bouncing put too much pressure on the main screw that holds it together and its sheered in two:wacko:

Luckily Ive been able to remove the broken parts and can hopefully source a replacement as Carradice will likely want about a tenner for one lol

I think in hindsight, onroad the Bagman 1 is fine, offroad I should invest in the Bagman 2.

OP
OP
Finnjävel

Finnjävel

I got the SQR thingy, and now the bag hangs like it should, leaving my butt alone. I was worried about it being ugly, but it doesn't draw much attention when the bag isn't there.

Much better now.

Top Bottom