Carradice Carradura - should there be an anti-sway fixing on both sides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Mrs Knees has very kindly bought me a new set of panniers for Christmas, but the drive side one doesn't have an anti-sway bar :

PC253120.JPG

Before I fit them to the bike - should there be one on both sides? I don't see why there wouldn't be to be honest, but I've never had nice panniers before, so as far as I know the drive side never has one for a reason I can't currently think of?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've never had decent panniers, but all my cheapies have an anti-sway clip on both bags.

So I'm going to be brave and declare a mis-build.

Is the lass's - or lad's - name who made it on the bag?

It usually is, as I understand it.

Another thought, without wishing to trample on Christmas present sensitivities, is Carradice sell seconds.

Out of interest, how are your bags handed - my cheapies are interchangeable one side to the other.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I see what you're saying about the seconds, but I *might* have sent a link to Mrs Knees suggestinga product and a retailer, and subsequently noticed appropriate branded packaging arrive :smile:

They are handed because they have a zipped pocket that would get in the way of your heels if you put them on the other way. The Carradura bags don't seen to have a makers name on them but they do have a batch number and a code with could be someone's initials I suppose. There are no holes where the bottom rail thing should go so if there ought to be one it's clearly a mistake in manufacture - I'm sure the retailer will be absolutely fine with an exchange, it's just a bit disappointing!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would change them, same as you, but I don't think the anti-sway bracket does anything when riding - the weight of the stuff inside seems to hold the bag vertical.

Where the sway bracket may do something is when leaning the bike to mount or dismount.

Unlikely, but you might be told Carradice assume riders dismount/tilt the bike to the left, so the driveside pannier doesn't need an anti-sway bracket.

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps things have changed, but shouldn't there be two clips to attach to the luggage rack? With just one clip I would think there would be the risk of a pendulum effect!

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I should have added that there are other two other clips for each top rail in a plastic bag that came with the panniers - the middle one is the one with the spring loaded clip part and is pre-fitted.

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ wot Snorri said.

Top Bottom