Carradice Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
The world is split between Carradice and Ortlieb. I have both, for touring I prefer Carradice because then you are packing in a certain way and the extra pockets are great. For shopping I prefer Ortlieb as the roll over tops means they can accommodate strange shapes more easily and are more stuffable. The on off method of attachment is quicker aswell.

Also I like with Carradice each bag has the name of the maker on them, they are names like Enid, Gladys and Dorothy - I have visions of little old Lancashire ladies (that's where they're made) beavering away in the workshop.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Superb quality,

alicat

Legendary Member
Good choice. I like Carradice because the fabric stands up well to rough treatment such as when I come off. One saddle bag did particularly when I slid down a farm track to avoid hitting a van head on.

I've just had to say goodbye to a saddlebag bought in 1983 and used regularly for at least 20 of the years since. 😢

Also I like with Carradice each bag has the name of the maker on them, they are names like Enid, Gladys and Dorothy - I have visions of little old Lancashire ladies (that's where they're made) beavering away in the workshop.
:smile:
I used to know a sicilian chap who would proudly tell me who had made his saddlebag.
I did once pop into the Carradice place - sorry to shatter your image but I don't think the workers were particularly old.
I do kind of like/admire Carradice stuff, particularly the idea that they can be easily/endlessly repaired.
But I often chuck my bags on the ground when camping/bivvying and leave them out all night, maybe getting rained on, and have concerns about mud and muck build-ups, so pretty all my bags are Ortlieb.
Long may Carradice continue though.
RIP Karrimor.

Top Bottom