Carradice saddlebags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darkmarkster

Über Member
Yay! :angry:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
my new bags arrived today. I inadvertently ordered black ones instead of green. oh well, I'll have to buy a black bike now. wot a shame. honestly my next bike was going to be black anyway......

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've been looking at Carrdice and trying to work out the various options of bag attachment/support etc. I don't find their website the most user friendly. I do have a Brooks on one bike but quite like the idea of being able to attach via seatpost or saddle QR, for ease of removal and switching between bikes. I also had a good read of Peter Whites site on the subject.

Looking at the bag sizes, and definitely wanting pockets, I see the Barley, Pendle, Lowsaddle Longflap, Nelson, Nelson Longflap and then you have the real biggies. So choices of 7, 11, 15, 18 and 23ish litres in size. I also note that Peter Whites site shows a Barley sized Super C, I may prefer the non buckle option.

Say I were to buy a Barley sized bag and a Nelson Longflap, I can't currently see a need to go bigger but you never know:biggrin: Can I have a setup on each bike that would mean I could easily remove and re-attach any of the types of bags? I'm seeing the Bagman QR saddlebag clamp and also the QR Sport with the metal support frame. So can I put a Bagman fitting on each saddle, the Brooks included, and have a corresponding fitting attached to each bag? ie each bag keeps a fitting permanently on it and the same for each saddle. No undoing buckles etc each time I want to put on, take off or switch bag types.

Jeez that sounds confused even to me, I hope you get my drift:biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MacB said:
Say I were to buy a Barley sized bag and a Nelson Longflap, I can't currently see a need to go bigger but you never know:biggrin: Can I have a setup on each bike that would mean I could easily remove and re-attach any of the types of bags? I'm seeing the Bagman QR saddlebag clamp and also the QR Sport with the metal support frame. So can I put a Bagman fitting on each saddle, the Brooks included, and have a corresponding fitting attached to each bag? ie each bag keeps a fitting permanently on it and the same for each saddle. No undoing buckles etc each time I want to put on, take off or switch bag types.
I think this will work, although it's more common for people to do it using the SQR system.

Do check that the qr fitting has enough saddle rail on your brookses though.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the bags don't need extra fittings when used with a bagman quick release. the pins slide easily thru the leather loops. the bonus of a bagman quick release is the ability to bolt a rear light to it. on the ones without the wire support under the bag; if you slide it all the way back (the bagman), then the seatpost strap usually does not need fastening as the bag will be far enough away from your legs. all in all the bagman is the best thing carradice provide as a quick release system, and i've used all carradices.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
bromptonfb said:
the bags don't need extra fittings when used with a bagman quick release. the pins slide easily thru the leather loops. the bonus of a bagman quick release is the ability to bolt a rear light to it. on the ones without the wire support under the bag; if you slide it all the way back (the bagman), then the seatpost strap usually does not need fastening as the bag will be far enough away from your legs. all in all the bagman is the best thing carradice provide as a quick release system, and i've used all carradices.

Aha, right I finally worked out how the QR works:blush: so it's a case of having a permanent fixture on the saddle which can be QR alone or QR with support. I need to see some in action to decide whether I need the support or not. But, regardless, I'd need to buy a seperate bracket for each bike? I'll also have a look at the SQR options again, then it would be one SQR block per bike and a fitting on each saddle bag. I take it the SQR works with the whole range, Barley included?

leyton condor

Veteran
I have been meaning to treat myself to a barley for a while now. All my hints at Christmas and birthday did not seem to materialse so I'll have to get my own.
I can't decide between a bagman or SQR though.
Or maybe I'll get myself a brooks saddle..........decisions decisions...

Darkmarkster

Über Member
I bought the barley and the standard sport bagman support but I assume you will need bungee cords to go over and around the bag as the support just keeps it in position?

OP
OP
ChristinaJL

ChristinaJL

andrew_s said:
There's one question to be answered.
Will it have been made by Christine?

Well, my barley bag and camper longflap were made by Priscilla and Sue. I hate waiting though, why can't there be any post on Good Friday. :biggrin:

Top Bottom