Carrera MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yeh my lad seems happy enough with his at the moment, maybe a Birthday present upgrade if he's not wanting anything else!.
I only changed the fork as she was getting barely any actual “suspension” from the front end, they were that stiff (for her weight) she’s got the women’s Carrera vengeance ltd in large as she’s quite tall so presumably that fork could well be set for someone much much heavier.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
To add to this @keithmac my sons Kraken has Xcr 32 coil fork and they seem fine with the preload wound right off and the compression damping fully open (no comp damping) and a little bit of rebound, think he’s about 6 st age 11.

I got a 2018 Carrera Kraken new from Halfords Xmas that year. A brilliant bike, however, I've had upgraded loads on it since then to make it even better. See pic...

List of upgrades;

Forks: Rockshox 30 Silver TK
Chain: Shimano CN-HG53 9Speed 116L
Crankset: Shimano Acera FC-M391
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG200 11-34T
Saddle: Ergon SMC4
Grips: White Ergon GA1 evo--> I am waiting for some new black Ergon GE1 Evo grips to arrive in the post, as the GA1s on are crap!
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT
Wheels: 27.5" wheels and Continental Trail King 2.4 tyres…
Mudguards: Mudhuggers mudguards (for winter only)… Lights: Nestling lights (night rides only)…

Great brand and I ride this bike weekly on my MTB rides when not at work. I also have a 2020 Carrera Zelos road bike I got new this year. Upgraded few things on that as well.

20200331_153221.jpg

Last edited:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi @Medieval Richard, what prompted you to make those changes?
My son has a Kraken and I think they are pretty good out of the box, sure some bits can be upgraded over time if needed. Here’s his.
BTW how tall are you, your saddle is very low I notice, my son is only 11 on a size 16 frame

Hi @Medieval Richard, what prompted you to make those changes?
My son has a Kraken and I think they are pretty good out of the box, sure some bits can be upgraded over time if needed. Here’s his.
BTW how tall are you, your saddle is very low I notice, my son is only 11 on a size 16 frame

I made the changes as I wanted the pro upgrades on the bike. The stock stuff wasn't the best for me and what I do via my rides.

My saddle is that low as when I got the bike the smaller frames were sold out in store - so had to go with 20" frame. Hence why I have to have it that low, but they say it's best to have it that low for speed. I am glad I got the 20" frame though, suits me better.... :smile:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I made the changes as I wanted the pro upgrades on the bike. The stock stuff wasn't the best for me and what I do via my rides.

My saddle is that low as when I got the bike the smaller frames were sold out in store - so had to go with 20" frame. Hence why I have to have it that low, but they say it's best to have it that low for speed. I am glad I got the 20" frame though, suits me better.... :smile:
They would say that though :smile: im not denying it but sounds like a sales pitch

Beanbert

@Medieval Richard Nice bike. I've just got the Carrera Vulcan 2020 I'm blue, went for it over the Vengeance as it's got 120mm travel on the front. I like it but recently joined a MTB group on Facebook & all they do is slag Carreras off lol it's really bothered me I like the bike but they've made me dislike it a little, well feel like it's cheap junk. Change my mind please 😂 I'm just in the process of upgrading the simple stuff like pedals, tyres etc.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
@Medieval Richard Nice bike. I've just got the Carrera Vulcan 2020 I'm blue, went for it over the Vengeance as it's got 120mm travel on the front. I like it but recently joined a MTB group on Facebook & all they do is slag Carreras off lol it's really bothered me I like the bike but they've made me dislike it a little, well feel like it's cheap junk. Change my mind please 😂 I'm just in the process of upgrading the simple stuff like pedals, tyres etc.
People love to slag cheaper bikes, sometimes rightly so sometimes not. Personally I think so long as it’s got a “reasonable” level of kit and components then they are fine until such time that your ability exceeds that kit. For pleasure riders I just don’t think you need the latest this and that, it’s just wasted.
My main road bike was from Argos, cheap and cheerful although I did upgrade a few bits and pieces over the years. I’ve recently just sold my “nice” bike - aero carbon Di2 groupset as it was wasted on me, nice but unnecessary, the Argos bike is completely adequate for everyday use, I used it for TT racing, 100 mile sportives including ride London and stuck some crud guards on and use it in the winter. Don’t worry about the knockers if you can still blast it round the trails having fun.

Top Bottom