Carrying 2 bikes on the car, Peugeot 208.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone carry 2bikes on their car, but not on the roof? I’m looking at rear mounted carrying 1 ebike and a 29er, I could carry the 29er on the roof, but what is the best, most secure way you carry bikes...?
I don’t have a towbar, and main dealer fitting is around £450, then the cost of a carrier.
My car, despite being a 2014 MY has a warranty until May, which I wouldn’t want to breach.
Thanks for your thoughts.
SnG

Depends on how many passengers travel in the car.
Yours is a hatch back. If you fold down the rear seat, you can accommodate two bikes in the back. I do in my Kia ceed by using bike bag to pack at least one.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a C3 (the 208's stylish cousin ;) ) and you can get two bikes in the back with the wheels on and the seats folded, although it's a squeeze. Take the front wheels off and it's much easier and the front seat passenger gets their legroom back.

We've also had the Halfords carrier @Slick refers to above and it was fine but I was always a bit unhappy about security and with how the wheels stuck out wider than the car along with how restricted rear vision was.

So I've now got a Citroen roof rail system - it's all rebadged Thule stuff so great quality, easy to use and surprisingly less costly than I thought it might be.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The weight of the ebike means you are up against quoted limits for hatchback mounted carriers.

Either the ebike will exceed the overall limit of the carrier or it will exceed the 'weight per bike' limit.

I doubt you will find any hatchback mounted carrier that could carry both bikes within quoted limits.

Even if you could, lifting the ebike to shoulder height to mount it would not be easy.

A two-bike towball mounted carrier could carry the ebike and the 29er, but as you probably know those racks cost anything up to £500.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The weight of the ebike means you are up against quoted limits for hatchback mounted carriers.

Either the ebike will exceed the overall limit of the carrier or it will exceed the 'weight per bike' limit.

I doubt you will find any hatchback mounted carrier that could carry both bikes within quoted limits.
Take the battery off and it might work, especially if you put 2 bikes on a wheel-supporting high-mount 3 bike carrier like those from Thule or Peruzzo.

Slick

Guru
Load capacity on the one I linked is 45 kilos, surely enough for one electric and a 29er.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Load capacity on the one I linked is 45 kilos, surely enough for one electric and a 29er.

That one has a max single bike weight limit of 15kg, although elsewhere on the page it does indicate it could carry a single ebike.

Whatever the weights, the problem remains of lifting the ebike that high to get it on the carrier.

I'm reasonably fit, but I suspect I couldn't lift my ebike that high and control the weight enough to mount the bike on the carrier.

It would be easier with two of you - one either end.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...acks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier

Slick

Guru
That one has a max single bike weight limit of 15kg, although elsewhere on the page it does indicate it could carry a single ebike.

Whatever the weights, the problem remains of lifting the ebike that high to get it on the carrier.

I'm reasonably fit, but I suspect I couldn't lift my ebike that high and control the weight enough to mount the bike on the carrier.

It would be easier with two of you - one either end.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...acks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-cycle-carrier
Yeah, fair enough I've never tried with an ebike, and probably didn't quite really appreciate how heavy they were. The 45 kilo weight limit is there as well though.

Tailendman

Regular
I wouldn't get the towbar fitted by the main dealer to start with. You will pay a premium. They all have to meet the same regulations. Make sure you get vehicle specific electrics though: These have connectors; not cutting the wires. I would suggest £300 should be enough.
https://auxtail.com/towbars/
I wouldn't recommend a tailgate mounted rack. No car manufacturer's sell as they know there is a high chance of damage, especially with the loads you are talking about. If out of warranty and you are not worried about a paint scratch or small dent then OK.
https://auxtail.com/about-cycle-carriers/
If the bikes are carbon then you need a no frame contact type carrier.
upload.php

Helenbells

Our two ebikes used to fit in our old style ford galaxy. When it died, we tried to get a car that would take both bikes inside. Very difficult without removing wheels, which was a pain.
We solved the problem by buying a second hand long wheel base Caddy. Seven seater. Last row removed and middle row folded, we can put both ebikes upright. We made an aluminium frame and the bikes now roll in, almost without lifting. Think of a roof rack inside the car with two sets of channeling front to back. We can tie them down to hooks on the floor.
Job done and we have been pleased with the car even though it is van-derived.

Sixmile

Veteran
A little left field idea... I've been using a Seasucker Mini Bomber for 2 years now and I believe that they carry up to 2 bikes at 20kg each. It can be mounted on the rear window (vehicle dependant) but I use mine solely on the roof for both and store the two front wheels in the boot.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've got Peugeot 207SW. Two bikes go in the back by taking the front wheels out. I lie them on their side and put an old sleeping bag between them to stop scratching.

Top Bottom